Let's Talk Controller Boards

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I open my cabinet I try not to look at the horrendous tangle of cords. It's so ridiculous. I'm going to do something about it by Sunday!
Just keep in mind that most of the control boards have a hollow area between the front where the controller and modules are attached and the back where the cords are hidden. They are still there just out of sight.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is super cheap, yet super practical. I bought a cheap medicine cabinet for $10, perfect fit for my cheap controllers. :)

cabinet closed.jpg

cabinet open.jpg
What kind of monster are you feeding with those two pumps??

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m looking for someone to post their media / storage cabinet next to aquarium. Currently looking for skinny 28” width one

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with an Adaptive Reef on mine. This is a slightly outdated image as I moved the Sicce SDC controller (along with a second one) inside the cabinet, rewired everything again, added an Icecap battery backup and mounted the Maxspect XF330 controller where the Sicce SDC previously resided. I only dose alkalinity and magnesium; I use almost no calcium. Inside looks like a freakin electronics graveyard (although there is some method to my madness). I should add that the panels to the left/right of the Trident slip off, so you can stick your hands through for minor maintenance if you know what to push/pull/etc.

TLDR; I crammed more s h * t into the same cabinet footprint and freed a power outlet in the process.

D0DB04A5-41C1-4CFB-902F-076E4D2E07BD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that most of the control boards have a hollow area between the front where the controller and modules are attached and the back where the cords are hidden. They are still there just out of sight.
Out of sight and organized is the goal... ;)

Waynes World Yes GIF

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I had on my previous build which I tried a control panel was it looked great head on….then behind it was a disaster and running all the cables through the holes made them harder to unplug and remove than I wanted.
NOW, I am not saying I have the answer for cable management by any means. :mad: But I will do better this time around.
I think one thing that would help would be shorter/longer cable options for some of the equipment. If your pump sits 2 feet away from the socket it plugs into, then a 3ft cable would be perfect, not a 6ft one. Something simple like that…

corey

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never justify building a controller wall inside of my stand, that extra space is way too valuable. IF I were to build one it would go outside the stand, but I see nothing wrong with just mounting all controllers to the inner side of the stand, that is what I always do.
Sure it's not as pretty as that false wall with everything organized, but again that space under the tank (especially with a sump) is so valuable.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never justify building a controller wall inside of my stand, that extra space is way too valuable. IF I were to build one it would go outside the stand, but I see nothing wrong with just mounting all controllers to the inner side of the stand, that is what I always do.
Sure it's not as pretty as that false wall with everything organized, but again that space under the tank (especially with a sump) is so valuable.
I personally wouldn't want to screw anything potentially impermanent to my cabinet.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love controller boards, but I'm not about doing a beautiful controller board only to have a complete mess behind it.
A big disadvantage like @biecacka mentioned is running through holes, having equipment easily removed for maintenance and such. I don't know how you can manage all these power blocks, wires, keeping everything looking clean yet still having it easily accessible. I just don't think that is possible. I only have a 90g cube, but I have 7 power blocks.

I hate looking at loose cables and power cords. Just my OCD i guess. Anyways, I found cable channels to be the easiest way to manage it and make everything look clean.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a controller board I have a controller wall. The back wall in my fish room I use OSB board so I can attached anywhere I need to. With the dimensions of the tank 10' x 5' I ended up spreading things out because the cables are not long enough to put everything together. I do need to work on cleaning up the cables.
Yes its a mess so this winter this will be a project for me.
IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4151.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back