Lets talk culturing copepods

Jesmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have some tisbe and apex pods id like to culture in a 5 gallon tank .

A few question i have are

Do they need light or is a blacked out dark tank better to culture in?

What salinity is best to culture them at?

Do they need heat or will 68 deg ambient temp work fine?

How often should i add phyto and how much should i add to 4 gallons of water?

How often should i water change and how often can i harvest these?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also following. I dont have any answers, but I would think you should mimic the conditions in a reef tank since they seem to thrive in one.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot hahah sorry!

Good morning! I have been researching the idea of culturing pods for 2 reasons

1)I’m dealing with algae problems and I need to add biodiversity.
2)My dream is to have a mandarin dragonet.

So one of the first conclusions I made is you need to culture your own phytoplankton if you want to culture pod because you will need a healthy supply of it. The rule of thump is fill a container half way with saltwater, add pods, add phyto to make all that water lime color. When the water turns clear again then your pods ate all the phyto and are likely to be harvested.

I should be starting my cultures next month.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pode can live in Temp. From 60° to 89° but the recommended temperature for culturing is 73-77°. Light wise is important to have a schedule 16hrs of light + 8hrs of total darkness

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the first conclusions I made is you need to culture your own phytoplankton if you want to culture pod because you will need a healthy supply of it.
Not necessarily, it depends on the type of copepod. E.g. you can culture Apocyclops on preserved products like Phytofeast, RG Complete, RotiGrow Plus, etc.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily, it depends on the type of copepod. E.g. you can culture Apocyclops on preserved products like Phytofeast, RG Complete, RotiGrow Plus, etc.
You can culture most pods on store bought plankton but the reason I came to the conclusion that you should culture your own phyto is the cost of buying plankton on a regular basis to keep a healthy pod population.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some tisbe and apex pods id like to culture in a 5 gallon tank .

A few question i have are

Do they need light or is a blacked out dark tank better to culture in?

What salinity is best to culture them at?

Do they need heat or will 68 deg ambient temp work fine?

How often should i add phyto and how much should i add to 4 gallons of water?

How often should i water change and how often can i harvest these?

I can only speak for Apocyclops panamensis (aka, Apex-Pods).
  • Ambient light is fine. I culture mine in 60L black, round tubs. Do not grow them in complete darkness.
  • This species is euryhaline (tolerates a wide range of salinities from 40ppt to 15ppt), so whatever your salt is mixed at will work just fine.
  • A heater is ideal if you want to speed up reproduction. I keep my cultures at 74F, but they will do fine at higher temps.
  • You should always feed a culture small amounts of algae at least twice a day. Apex-Pods don't require live algae, so using a blend like our Phyto-Feast is totally acceptable. You want to add enough algae to keep the culture tinted green. This species can tolerate dirty water, but it's best to inoculate with bacteria, like Brightwell Aquatic's - Microbacter7. This is what I use to get beneficial bacteria into my cultures. Basically cycling them quickly like hobbyists do with new tanks.
  • You can run a culture for 40 days without a water change, but you do need to top off for freshwater evaporation.
  • Harvesting them can be done with a gravity siphon into a sieve (41 microns is a good size to catch all stages of development). You can use a 100 micron screen to separate adults and juveniles from all naupliar stages. I harvest the nauplii with a passive harvester that I built. Got the idea here: University of Florida IFAS Extension - Using Airlifts to Collect and Concentrate Copepod Nauplii1 Eric Cassiano, Matthew DiMaggio, Cortney Ohs, and John Marcellus2 http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa188
Hope this information helps.

Best,
Chad

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have had the same culture of copepods breeding since 2004! My cultures are set up like this:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak for Apocyclops panamensis (aka, Apex-Pods).
  • Ambient light is fine. I culture mine in 60L black, round tubs. Do not grow them in complete darkness.
  • This species is euryhaline (tolerates a wide range of salinities from 40ppt to 15ppt), so whatever your salt is mixed at will work just fine.
  • A heater is ideal if you want to speed up reproduction. I keep my cultures at 74F, but they will do fine at higher temps.
  • You should always feed a culture small amounts of algae at least twice a day. Apex-Pods don't require live algae, so using a blend like our Phyto-Feast is totally acceptable. You want to add enough algae to keep the culture tinted green. This species can tolerate dirty water, but it's best to inoculate with bacteria, like Brightwell Aquatic's - Microbacter7. This is what I use to get beneficial bacteria into my cultures. Basically cycling them quickly like hobbyists do with new tanks.
  • You can run a culture for 40 days without a water change, but you do need to top off for freshwater evaporation.
  • Harvesting them can be done with a gravity siphon into a sieve (41 microns is a good size to catch all stages of development). You can use a 100 micron screen to separate adults and juveniles from all naupliar stages. I harvest the nauplii with a passive harvester that I built. Got the idea here: University of Florida IFAS Extension - Using Airlifts to Collect and Concentrate Copepod Nauplii1 Eric Cassiano, Matthew DiMaggio, Cortney Ohs, and John Marcellus2 http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa188
Hope this information helps.

Best,
Chad

so in this case, can I use water from main tank from water change?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back