Lets talk Gyre

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you're going to have some very strong flow on the short distance from back to front. But you can turn the pump power down until it's what you want, so yes, this can be done. Two would cover a 36" long (wide, in this case) tank just fine.

I think they are best placed at opposite ends of the tank. They produce amazing random flow when two of them are opposed that way. But if that's not a good option for some reason, other arrangements can be made to work very well, especially since each pump is separately programmable. They do move a lot of water.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my gyre. Have an FX250 and an MP40QD in a 150 gal sps.
Run the gyre at 70% and it does most of the heavy lifting of the tank flow. It does seem a bit loud though. If I put it upwards of 70% I can hear the motor hum.
I turn the gyre off and observe the mp40 by itself and it is a joke for a 5 foot tank.

I will buy the icecap module to change pulse and other patterns through the day. Bummer is one module only controls one unit, otherwise I would have bought another 250 and ditched the mp40.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you're going to have some very strong flow on the short distance from back to front. But you can turn the pump power down until it's what you want, so yes, this can be done. Two would cover a 36" long (wide, in this case) tank just fine.

I think they are best placed at opposite ends of the tank. They produce amazing random flow when two of them are opposed that way. But if that's not a good option for some reason, other arrangements can be made to work very well, especially since each pump is separately programmable. They do move a lot of water.

yeah I thought 2 might be over kill on the back wall but it does keep it off the sides. but why pay more if you only run them at 20-30%?

what about 1 on the left side of the tank? think 1 would work well for a 36x24 LPS dom. tank? ( I did have 1 SPS and a cpl softies as well)

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I thought 2 might be over kill on the back wall but it does keep it off the sides. but why pay more if you only run them at 20-30%?

what about 1 on the left side of the tank? think 1 would work well for a 36x24 LPS dom. tank? ( I did have 1 SPS and a cpl softies as well)

I use one FX250 at one end of a 4', 75g tank, and it's enough for my mixed reef. My sump return is at the opposite end with about 500gph of flow. I run the Gyre at 50% max, and it's enough for that tank. The montipora and acropora I have at the gyre end of the tank grow like weeds. The opposite end really doesn't collect any notable detritus.

As much water as these gyres move, the design makes the flow still quite gentle. It's not like your corals are hit with a wall of water when they turn on. As long as your sand or corals aren't being blown around, feel free to turn them up as necessary... or down to where it seems comfortable.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PhreeByrd I was wondering if one XF230 at one end of my 3' tank would do the trick or not.

also hear these are a bit noisy about 60% true or not? what was the break in period for you guys?
also some reviews say the magnet rust anyone have this happen?

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Devaji, I would suggest the XF250, if only due to your tank water volume. Two XF230's would also be a good option. I think either way you probably can keep the power at 50% or less. Most people do report more noise above 60% or so, although it's often said that the noise is noticeable but not really objectionable.

I run the XF250 at a max of 50%. I really never hear it until it approaches time for a cleaning, at which point it starts to whine a little bit at the higher speeds. It's not bad, but it's noticeable from a few feet away. After a cleaning, it's almost completely silent again. There isn't really a break-in period, or at least I don't remember anything like that. On the initial startup it just worked as expected right from the beginning, and continued the same until cleaning time. The flow rate does drop when cleaning is required.

The magnet issue is an old one, and as far as I know, only commonly affected units from the first production runs. My magnet mount is going on 3 years old, and is still perfectly fine. Likewise with the issue of power cords, only the first iteration was affected. I believe Maxspect/Coralvue replaced all of those defects under warranty. The current generation was never affected by that issue.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PhreeByrd thanks for the feed back. dang now I just dont know...haha I would love to have them off the sides of the tank. guessing if I only had 1 it would be wise to go with the 250 but 2 then the 230s..

anyone run them on the back wall? seems like all the videos I see ppl have them on sides.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great concept, space saving design and water movement. . . . . . . . HOWEVER a royal pain to take apart and reassemble correctly not to mention they're great when they run until something such as one side not spinning occurs.

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them a while but had both units fail....multiple replacement parts later, I finally gave up on them. While they were working, I liked the total water movement without worrying about finding that sweet spot that comes with pointing and positioning other water movers.
Just curious what is your calcium level?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Maxspect xf280

Only disappointment is I am unable to connect to my Neptune Apex. I also don't like their advanced controller its super difficult to make custom flow patterns.

I was considering adding 1 or 2 of the Panta Rhei ECM 42 pumps as I am in the middle of removing my sandbed and going bare bottom I can turn up the flow for my SPS and not worry about a sandstorm in the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@PhreeByrd thanks for the feed back. dang now I just dont know...haha I would love to have them off the sides of the tank. guessing if I only had 1 it would be wise to go with the 250 but 2 then the 230s..

anyone run them on the back wall? seems like all the videos I see ppl have them on sides.

Mine in center on back wall in main tank with ecotechs running the tank length

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just curious what is your calcium level?

the biggest reason I see out there for failure has been bushings which with Ca, Mag etc start to get rigid. Found a fix which is a small piece of silicone tubing in place of bushing. They spin like a roulette wheel !

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the biggest reason I see out there for failure has been bushings which with Ca, Mag etc start to get rigid. Found a fix which is a small piece of silicone tubing in place of bushing. They spin like a roulette wheel !
Yea I started keeping mine at 420 max seems to limit protein skimmer and pump problems

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one for two years just toss it out yesterday as a matter of fact- sick and tired of all the parts replacements and the loud noise. I would not recommend.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

good to know. that was a fix for the jeabos as well, unless it was a motor failure which it was in my case. :/

as you guys post pic of them on the tank so i can get an idea of how they look plz :D

Dan Korczak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 250 provides a tremendous amount of flow but I do have some questions about it’s long term reliability. The cage is not made of a confidence-inspiring plastic, and I have the suspicion it’s losing a bit of it’s initial oomph after just a few months.

While it performs great, I wish it were convincingly bulletproof for the pretty penny I paid for it.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dan Korczak yeah its seens like the it the way of things in this hobby eh? so many things are almost great but not really. or maybe that's just me trying to squeeze every once of value for my hard earned cash?

for me I decided that keeping the powerheads off the side of the tank was pretty important so it back wall for this guy.
so I pony up for 2X 230s or go with a different Ph all together.
decisions decisions...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My 250 provides a tremendous amount of flow but I do have some questions about it’s long term reliability. The cage is not made of a confidence-inspiring plastic, and I have the suspicion it’s losing a bit of it’s initial oomph after just a few months.

While it performs great, I wish it were convincingly bulletproof for the pretty penny I paid for it.

May point to those very bushings.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back