Lets talk Gyre

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat regarding the far end of my new peninsula. I'm wondering if I have 2 gyres setup vertically to push water clockwise around the tank, stop, and then reverse to push water counterclockwise that would work.
That is exactly what I wanted to do, I got all excited about it. Truth is it works like a charm...however, I purchased the bigger pumps and they blow my sand too much. I was about to take one of the blades off and run them like that. But, running exactly as you stated is pretty good and would have continued to do so if it didn't blow the sand to crap. To be honest, I was super frustrated, but with patience I may be able to make it work...right now I have only one on horizontally and that doesn't blow my sand like crazy. I actually have it below the shadow return, so its like half way down the side...still creates the gyre. I am actually impressed with the pumps. I don't have anything bad to say about them.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I wanted to do, I got all excited about it. Truth is it works like a charm...however, I purchased the bigger pumps and they blow my sand too much. I was about to take one of the blades off and run them like that. But, running exactly as you stated is pretty good and would have continued to do so if it didn't blow the sand to crap. To be honest, I was super frustrated, but with patience I may be able to make it work...right now I have only one on horizontally and that doesn't blow my sand like crazy. I actually have it below the shadow return, so its like half way down the side...still creates the gyre. I am actually impressed with the pumps. I don't have anything bad to say about them.
Ok thanks! Glad to hear my idea is workable. I really don't want to ruin the aesthetic on the other end.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been using the gyre since beta and love them..
Each new model gets better and better..

They were hard to take apart but now are much easier.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my rock close to the back of the tank if not on the back wall of tank. How well will one of these gyre work on my tank for flow

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my rock close to the back of the tank if not on the back wall of tank. How well will one of these gyre work on my tank for flow
Depending on how much flow you want probably pretty well. I have the icecap 1k version on my 29 cube and it does a great job getting water moving all over. I'm running a koralia and a jebao sw-2 to supplement but the gyre does most of the work.

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the BRS160 at about 15:15...check out the flow they created. I honestly don't think you can get better. Oops, I just notice you said ONE, but this can still give you ideas for the future.
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using one 250 with the advanced controller on a 4' tank. It's been excellent -- best flow this tank has ever seen, and I never need to run the pump beyond 50%. The random flow programs are perfect, IMO. Mine is basically silent unless it's time to clean it -- then it starts to whine a little. I clean it every 4-5 months. Although I think it's a bit pricey, I'd buy it again, no question.
And yes, some care is required during disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. After doing it a couple of times it's very easy to do.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that the reverse flow of the gyre, opposite of the A or B of the propellers are much weaker than the forward.

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that the reverse flow of the gyre, opposite of the A or B of the propellers are much weaker than the forward.
Just out of curiosity, how exactly is that a "problem"? I am no pump expert, but how many other power heads have a reverse function?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, how exactly is that a "problem"? I am no pump expert, but how many other power heads have a reverse function?
It's not a knock on the gyre at all. I was just trying to explain that if they configured the pumps vertically facing the same way, they should not expect to get the same flow in reverse that they get in forward. Just trying to manage their expectation so they can plan and get the outcome they are seeking.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably pretty well but you may want to add a supplementary head something like the CoralBox RN-1 at the back to keep detritus blasted at the back of the rock wall.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the weaker reverse flow as any kind of a problem either. In fact I don't use the reverse flow since using it in my tank causes it to blow all the sand away from under the gyre. It's too strong a flow in my tank.

For Bob Escher, mounting the gyre(s) on the back wall and allowing reverse flow will probably do a better job of keeping that rock clean the any other kind of powerhead you might use.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the icecap 3K for my 70 reef. Puts out more flow then I need. I use a small powerhead on the opposite end for a more 4andom flow. Only problem I have had is the controller going out. My first one quit and I had another complete gyre unit bought so took that controller and am using it on the original unit. Even that controller has issues with the digital read out sometimes being inverted.
Overall I like the gyre and the flow is quite good. I will try the maxspect for my 180 build.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dewy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the flow of my xf250 but hate cleaning it. I've broken the ceramic shaft on my gyre trying to take it apart before.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 150 second hand, and have been using jebao and just recently got a tunze for my 110 gallon 5' tank. But I'm getting a 250g in a few Weekes and decided to get the 250 to compliment the 150 as the main water movement. They're just physically the best water movement, no question. A wide flat pump flow beats a propeller hands down.

The 150 has put out less water flow as time goes by, but it's still more than enough, and much more disperse than the propellers. It's an existential threat to propeller pumps, and the brs 160 change kind of confirms that.

Whatever issues they may have had in the early stages have been resolved. Mine has been bullet proof compared to my propeller pumps. I'll still keep the propeller pumps for supplement, but they're just that, supplements.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at getting a 150 for the backwall of my 120 so this thread is really helpful

If you're looking at a 150, you should look at the 250 instead. It's the same power, minus most issues of the first gen, and a better controller. The 2nd gen is also capable of having 2 pumps on 1 controller. So you can buy 1 while unit with controller, then just the pump to plug into that same controller.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a couple of 280s along with couple Vortechs and Tunzes in same tank.
Pros,
Flow is quite nice and very different than Vortech or Tunze which is a nice add on is a tank I believe.
i can only run mine up to 50-60 percent or else I blow up sand which is great as I have room to add flow as corals fill in more.
Nice packaging with a load of spare parts
Nice that you can install vertical or horizontal and that you can orient the flow on each side as you prefer.
Cons
size is a bit too large so its more noticeable if placed on back wall, if on side and placed horizontal it's a bit less visible.
build seems a bit less sturdy than vortech and Tunze. those rubber attachment don't feel to secure but I have has no issue with those so far.
connecting the pump can be a bit challenging as it's a bit different with different impellors so can be a bit confusing at first.
control is not intuitive at all and quite annoying to set (I have the new controller)
if you turn controller off and you loose electricity or apex turns outlet off on then controller will restart alone.
cleaning is an issue.
A slight wine above 60 percent but not an issue for me as my system is in a wall unit.
My bigger concern so far was the shaft erroding that oval fitting that turned round so in the end impellor stopped turning. this has happened 2-3 times and every time was an easy fix replacing it with the provided spare parts. but as this is happening again even at lower power setting (50-60 percent) I assume it'll happen more if you have a properly sized Gyre and use it at 80-90 percent.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if the xf230 are the "right" pump/s for me?

tank specs :
SCA 90 gal 36x24x24 with center overflow.
ideally I want to keep the pumps off the sides of the tank so thinking back wall here. one of each side of back wall??
aquascape will be two rock islands with a few small islands for corals.
not sure the gyre will work with such a scape or not?

I am between this (fx230s) and a cpl of the new reefbreeders RMP 26
https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/rp-26/

thoughts and feedback?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back