Lets talk Gyre

Michael Allen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay reefers, how do you guys like the Gyre? i was looking at the 4k, but i figured i would see what everyone's thoughts were on them.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running two 230's on my reefer 250 and love the pumps! I have the advanced programming setup with variable flow patterns through the day. I don't often take the pumps apart, I do run them in vinegar when they turn completely purple and use a brush to clean them off. Performing this maintenance I believe has saved me the pain of taking apart and putting back together. If they do need to be taken apart it isn't that difficult just make sure you watch what you are pulling off the pump and replace it!

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pelphrey Yo, I was just reading your thread yesterday on the gyre info (Link to CJ's vid, BRS, etc). Out of curiosity, would you be able to export your profile and make it public? I'd love to give your program a try on my 250's.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them a while but had both units fail....multiple replacement parts later, I finally gave up on them. While they were working, I liked the total water movement without worrying about finding that sweet spot that comes with pointing and positioning other water movers.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an XF230 on one side of my 40 and an MP10 on the other. They run an advanced program and Reef Crest, respectively, and along with the RFG nozzle on my return, I feel that I have close to ideal flow. I never have to stir up detritus because I have the XF230 do it every early afternoon before the main "showing hours" of the tank.

OP
OP
Michael Allen

Michael Allen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running two 230's on my reefer 250 and love the pumps! I have the advanced programming setup with variable flow patterns through the day. I don't often take the pumps apart, I do run them in vinegar when they turn completely purple and use a brush to clean them off. Performing this maintenance I believe has saved me the pain of taking apart and putting back together. If they do need to be taken apart it isn't that difficult just make sure you watch what you are pulling off the pump and replace it!
How long have you had yours? I have read that running (mounting) them horizontal is more stressful than running them vertical. Any input on that by chance?

OP
OP
Michael Allen

Michael Allen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them a while but had both units fail....multiple replacement parts later, I finally gave up on them. While they were working, I liked the total water movement without worrying about finding that sweet spot that comes with pointing and positioning other water movers.

Bummer! what did you end up switching to?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer! what did you end up switching to?
I switched to a pair of Neptune Wavs. I like them a lot....very happy with the change....so far lol.

Hammer100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running two 250's in Ocean Grye cycle on my 180 with WAV pumps on the back glass. blows my sand all around of 60% setting.
I did buy and extra one to have so i can swap out when cleaning...and they need to be cleaned alot.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had yours? I have read that running (mounting) them horizontal is more stressful than running them vertical. Any input on that by chance?

I would guess I've had mine for 14-16 months. I've not read or heard that, they are made to be installed in either fashion.

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good flow, but kind of flimsy. Pain to take apart, clean and put back together properly.
Can make your own flow patterns.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my set for about a year and had a 230 set for a year before that still running on a tank setup I gave to a friend. really like the flow it provides with no dead spots.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 130's for the past 2+years and they work great. I clean them every 3 months and they move a ton of water on the top of my tank. I have a MP-40 in the lower third of the system to stir the lower part of the the DT.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about noise? The videos I have seen all have an associated engine whine.

The older units and blades did not make noise. I change out the blades on one of my 130's and can hear a slight whine when I am next to the DT. The noise is increased with the higher the 130 is run. Over 60% is when I here the whine/noise the most. I run my at %50 and lower on luner mode with the new controller.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My XF230 which is about four feet from my wife when we're on the couch isn't louder than my AC pump for my return or skimmer. The fan on my refugium light is louder. I can only pick the gyre out from the general hum of my tank when it's on a short pulse but even then it's still a hum, not a whine.

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Maxspect xf250 on my six foot 210. Really moves a lot of water and I am happy with it. I won it at MACNA in New Orleans last year.
I do clean it with vinegar and also take it apart to clean it every few months. I don't find it that hard to tear down and reassemble.
It does make a little noise but not much. Not enough to bother me and my tank is in my living room.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back