Lets talk Gyre

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got a 150. I like the pump and the flow, but man I hate hate hate cleaning this thing. So many parts to deal with.

On another note, has anyone that has a 130 or 150 upgraded to the advanced controller? Is it worth the $180 price premium to upgrade from the standard controller?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 150. I like the pump and the flow, but man I hate hate hate cleaning this thing. So many parts to deal with.

On another note, has anyone that has a 130 or 150 upgraded to the advanced controller? Is it worth the $180 price premium to upgrade from the standard controller?

I never used the 100 series controller, I really like the advanced controller. These are the settings I am running on my pumps, having the ability to set to many points makes for a ton of random flow.

As far as noise, when I got my 230's they made some noise, especially at higher percentages. I don't hear them at all now, I've done a few videos with my phone on the glass of the tank and you can hear them on the recording but not when I am standing by the tank.

Gyre.jpeg

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if the advanced controller is worth it for a single pump though. Seems like it would be cool with two, but I just have one and Coralbox QP-9 on the other side. Definitely not dropping $340 for another Gyre.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
70B5D790-1125-4618-A55A-8A8F2D59E6E9.jpeg
I didnt not get a good impression of the gyre at all. I have the gyre 230 in my 160g and it barely move any water. My return pump pushes more water than the 230. The gyre was in used for about a week then it started squeeking really bad. Took it completely apart and the noise stop. Then few days later, the plastic in the propellar broken off.
I honestly wouldnt recomend this at all.
Price is not cheap.
Control is too complicated to understand
Cheap quality/not durable
Too many parts involved

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about noise? The videos I have seen all have an associated engine whine.
I have 2 fx 250's on a 150 gal tank. Only time I hear a whine is whe I run them at 90 or 100 % . Other than that they are silent

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they first came out, I bought 2 of them. Within 6 months, both the wires came out of the device. They sent me brand new motors, 90 days went by, they both completely stopped working. Then the bigger ones were released and I replaced the smaller ones with the bigger size. Both went out within 90 days again. One of them the controller stopped working and one of them the motor stopped working. Been in the hobby for 17 years and they were most unreliable piece of equipment I have ever owned. The local shop that I buy all my supplies from has had the same issues and they are replacing them on their service tanks. Granted, when they work, they are awesome.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70B5D790-1125-4618-A55A-8A8F2D59E6E9.jpeg
I didnt not get a good impression of the gyre at all. I have the gyre 230 in my 160g and it barely move any water. My return pump pushes more water than the 230. The gyre was in used for about a week then it started squeeking really bad. Took it completely apart and the noise stop. Then few days later, the plastic in the propellar broken off.
I honestly wouldnt recomend this at all.
Price is not cheap.
Control is too complicated to understand
Cheap quality/not durable
Too many parts involved
That's an old gen 1 before the heavier cages came out. I have 2 250s in my 187 and I can't run them over 80% without stripping things.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's an old gen 1 before the heavier cages came out. I have 2 250s in my 187 and I can't run them over 80% without stripping things.
What you mean that’s an old gen? Its the new 230 series

PastyOWG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an IceCap 3k in a 65g tank. I really like it so far- hopefully I have better luck than some of you have had. It's generally very quiet, but every time I do a water change it's loud for half an hour or so. I attribute that to air bubbles. I run random mode to 60% during the day then 20% constant at night.

U

User1

View Badges
Where to start....I have a pair of XF250's in my 210 gallon. I started with one then picked up another. I see @pelphrey replied to the thread but if you haven't already done so he has a pretty good post that covers it along with video. Others are out there has well. They are pretty decent and have a lot of potential. Having said that if I was to purchase again today I would probably not buy them because, well, the controller is limited. I was going to say garbage but that really isn't fair. It works but has limitations in my opinion. For example:

1. SD card slot - great. Firmware only. Can't use for exporting a program, editing, and re-importing. Also can't share among hobbyist.
2. No control over built in patterns - ocean gyre for example
3. Can't increment + or - in single digits. Seems to do 10, 20, 30, etc.
4. Only 2 built in patterns - I'm used to multi (may be a personal thing) such has reef crest, tidal, nutrient transport, etc
5. Middleware / box needed to connect to controller of choice (Reef Angel or Apex, whatever)

Just a few off the top of my head but with that in mind they do move a metric ton of water so placement is job one. Coral placement is job two. Keeping your hands off is job three. Seriously :) . The idea of swapping blades and placing it such that it flows one direction then spins reverse and flows the other is pretty neat and gives some unique opportunities for controlling or limiting dead spots behind heavy rock structures. I like them but I don't like the limited control, in my opinion, of the controller. It could be better for simple things with a pair such has I want only A to run Ocean Gyre for 6 hours with B off, then swap to B for the next 6 hours with A off, etc. That is what is missing.

Built well, boxed well, feature rich, and um, just remember coral placement :) That is pretty important with these things if you have a mixed reef. So check out @pelphrey 's post. He does a good job talking about that.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 2 , 230's running on my Red Sea Reefer 250. I am able to run them at about 40-50 max. The flow is amazing, and more evenly distributed then my prior pair of Vortech MP10's. They can be a tad loud when they ramp up to the higher speeds.... I find that the flow in the lower and back regions of the tank to be better then the MP10's....
Drawback for me is I loose control with my Apex Controller, but the flow makes up for it. Cleaning wise it's harder to take apart and clean the Gyres.... The MP10's are super easy to clean..... All and all, both are great options.....

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped on the bandwagon immediately with a maxpect. I had some trouble in the beginning but all was solved under warranty. It’s at least 4 years old and going strong! I take it out every 3-5 months and soak it in vinegar and then let it dry out. I also use two wav pumps along with it in my 200 sps tank. One of my wav pumps quit after 4 years. Neptune replaced is, kinda, with a 50% off pump. The two types of flow work really well together.

mazzdaq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 2 fx 250's with the controller for my Red Sea Reefer 525xl but haven't set up my new tank yet. I'm hoping they work great.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2x 250s on an 80 shallow. Couldn’t be happier due to the tank width and spread I get. Run a rotating schedule that switches every 2 hours. So far, so good! I’ve had them a while now. One was the 150 that I added the 250 and upgraded controller a bit ago. No issues. All same parts as when bought them.

The controller is definitely a step up, but it would more benefit if running two pumps. It’d be a nice little toy for a single pump, but the true functionality becomes apparent when adding a second. Hope that helps.

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got 2 xf280 for a 6x2x2 180g, sadly, I think I over bought, should have gotten the 250's....my problem is placement, I tried putting them vertically. my tank is a peninsula and I dn't want any pumps on the open end. Still trying to figure it out because it blows the crap out of my sand. gonna try just one right now...they work fine. As far the controller "limitations", I am not sure what people want. It does quit a bit, just because it doesn't do exactly what you want doesn't make it crappy. If you want pure customization then use a dedicated controller like the apex and start programming. I contemplated the mp60s, but the fact is this move a lot of water with a wider spread. Too much in my case. Good luck!

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you mean that’s an old gen? Its the new 230 series
My mistake, I got a pair of 250s and assumed the 230s were the same. This is a 250 cage:

maxspect_gyre_xf150_propeller_2.jpg

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got 2 xf280 for a 6x2x2 180g, sadly, I think I over bought, should have gotten the 250's....my problem is placement, I tried putting them vertically. my tank is a peninsula and I dn't want any pumps on the open end. Still trying to figure it out because it blows the crap out of my sand. gonna try just one right now...they work fine. As far the controller "limitations", I am not sure what people want. It does quit a bit, just because it doesn't do exactly what you want doesn't make it crappy. If you want pure customization then use a dedicated controller like the apex and start programming. I contemplated the mp60s, but the fact is this move a lot of water with a wider spread. Too much in my case. Good luck!
I'm in the same boat regarding the far end of my new peninsula. I'm wondering if I have 2 gyres setup vertically to push water clockwise around the tank, stop, and then reverse to push water counterclockwise that would work.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back