Lets talk Gyre

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my gyres, besides the whirlpools :)

New 300 series are coming soon, saw a review and the improvement looks great.... haven't seen for sale in the US yet though.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my gyres, besides the whirlpools :)

New 300 series are coming soon, saw a review and the improvement looks great.... haven't seen for sale in the US yet though.

I ended up going with Tunze for my replacement. Wasn't too happy about not being able to connect and control to the APEX and I found the replacement schedule for parts were far too extensive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just broke the shaft on mine. Can you replace it or is the pump now junk?
Replaceable - Yes.
Check: Ebay, Amazon, BRS and Maxspect company itself

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love, love, love them.

But you have to be very careful when cleaning them. When you reassemble it you MUST make sure the gyre cages are very free inside the motor casing. If not it will cause a slight dragging/binding that will kill the motor over time.

Those cages have to be free moving and in a straight line when mounting back inside the tank.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a love/hate relationship with these things. I have a pair of the XF230 pumps on my 55g tank. good water movement, but super finicky about the sand... If I position them even slightly out of whack, I get huge mountains of sand that bury corals and leave the glass exposed. They also seem to be hit and miss about noise - the second pump I got is dead silent, but the first one gives out an audible hum that I can hear clearly at the other end of the house. Not terribly loud, but it carries like crazy.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a vortech, gyres and jebaos. Happy with all three, but in terms of water flow my primary driver are the gyres. They are really no more obtrusive in the tank than vortechs, push a lot of water and can be kept near the surface which usually isn't in a viewing plane. The minus can be cleaning and a wire in the tank, but there are trade-offs with every type of pump.

Every tank I have going forward, the primary flow will be opposite ended gyres. I use my vortech in the frag tank since the volume is rather small, and the jebaos against the back glass to add some additional chaotic flow to the tank. If they made a gyre even smaller than the X30 series, I'd be using that on the frag tank.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone confirm that their gyre is blowing downwards as well as straight out? After disassembling to clean mine is doing this as well as blowing straight out. The sand below it was blown everywhere down to the glass. Never had that happen before. I've rotated the cages and it helped with the flow downwards but now the flow straight out blows upwards.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone confirm that their gyre is blowing downwards as well as straight out? After disassembling to clean mine is doing this as well as blowing straight out. The sand below it was blown everywhere down to the glass. Never had that happen before. I've rotated the cages and it helped with the flow downwards but now the flow straight out blows upwards.

Are you certain you have the blades and cages on the right sides?

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT DID ONE GYRE SAY THE OTHER GYRE??

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

Nothing... it just WAVED...

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the biggest reason I see out there for failure has been bushings which with Ca, Mag etc start to get rigid. Found a fix which is a small piece of silicone tubing in place of bushing. They spin like a roulette wheel !

I love mine,but I need to get the hardware to plug them into the apex so I can try the BRS strategy on their 160.

I’ve had an issue with one of mine where I think some sand got entrapped in the shaft housing and eventually had some extra calcification that ended up solidifying to where it made noise and then I couldn’t remove the part for cleaning. I had to replace the whole pump. That sucked.

Do you have a picture or link to the silicone bushing/part you’re referring to?

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running two XF250 in my tank and i love them. They run in anti sync pulsing mode programmed to change for every two hours, ranging thrust between 50% to 10%.
I clean them every 60 days by removing all the parts apart and soak it for 20mins in muratic acid solution at 10:1 ratio with water and refit them.

Back