Let's talk supplements, Bro.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that there is a pretty big group of Radion users that either supplement with T5's or would like to see a Radion/T5 fixture.

So, from those of you who share these sentiments, let's hear how you are doing so far; or your plans to add supplement T5 lighting, and why.

Thanks!

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why bother buying radions if you're going to use t5?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

DipG

Dream Build Complete
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am one of those who would have loved a Radion with T5 fixture. A bit of a background, I have always had a mixed reef tank starting with a pico (Fluvial Edge 6g) and then upgraded to a nano (Elos Midi 36G) and then to a 200g custom built tank. For all the tanks mentioned the primary lighting was using an LED fixture and to be honest I got great growth and color (see pictures below). But I always had issues with shadowing when using LED and for some reason I personally felt that I was not getting the crisp look which I would see on tanks lit by just T5 or MH. So last year when I designed my 200gallon I decided to go with LED and T5 as supplement. LEDS because I had no issues with color and growth of my SPS corals in my previous tanks and T5's because I wanted to see if i could get rid off some of that shadowing. I couldn't be happier with that decision. I keep my Radions on for total of 12 hours and I have my T5's come on for about 4 hours starting late afternoon. I now see get that crisp look which is so pleasing to eyes and I am pretty sure my corals appreciate them too. I would have loved if ecotech had their own combo fixture just as I see some other companies doing it where T5's are primary light and the LED's are used as supplements.

My current tank with 3 Radions and 4 T5 bulbs.

20150409-Dip Tank FTS-_D7K0242-Edit.jpg

First tank with Nanocustoms 3.6 LED Fixture
fulltankshot.jpg

ELOS Midi with Vertex Illumina 260 LED Fixture
ELOSTANK-71.jpg

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am one of those who would have loved a Radion with T5 fixture. A bit of a background, I have always had a mixed reef tank starting with a pico (Fluvial Edge 6g) and then upgraded to a nano (Elos Midi 36G) and then to a 200g custom built tank. For all the tanks mentioned the primary lighting was using an LED fixture and to be honest I got great growth and color (see pictures below). But I always had issues with shadowing when using LED and for some reason I personally felt that I was not getting the crisp look which I would see on tanks lit by just T5 or MH. So last year when I designed my 200gallon I decided to go with LED and T5 as supplement. LEDS because I had no issues with color and growth of my SPS corals in my previous tanks and T5's because I wanted to see if i could get rid off some of that shadowing. I couldn't be happier with that decision. I keep my Radions on for total of 12 hours and I have my T5's come on for about 4 hours starting late afternoon. I now see get that crisp look which is so pleasing to eyes and I am pretty sure my corals appreciate them too. I would have loved if ecotech had their own combo fixture just as I see some other companies doing it where T5's are primary light and the LED's are used as supplements.

Firstly, beautiful tanks! I see what you are saying about the shadows. How did you mount your T5's? What T5 fixtures are you using (or DIY ballasts and reflectors)? What T5 bulbs/color temp do you prefer? How far above the water surface are your Radions, T5's?

DipG

Dream Build Complete
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, beautiful tanks! I see what you are saying about the shadows. How did you mount your T5's? What T5 fixtures are you using (or DIY ballasts and reflectors)? What T5 bulbs/color temp do you prefer? How far above the water surface are your Radions, T5's?

Thanks, I am using two Giesemann razor fixtures with one in front and second one in the back. So my Radions are in middle. I am currently using the Giesemann purple and azure bulbs. I am going to change azure bulb and replace it one of the actinic bulbs just because I like the bluer look. All the fixtures are hanging 18" from the water and the tank height is 30".

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks DipG !

Personally, I started experimenting with T5 supplements to my Radions last week. I've also had great success with Radion specific lighting and my SPS, but I'm a sucker for testing and tinkering. I built a custom floating canopy to encase my three Radions and mount four T5 ballasts, which came from two old ZooMed fixtures. I gutted the fixtures for the ballasts and cut the reflectors and crudely mounted them to the inside of the canopy. I chose ATI Blue Plus bulbs. We'll see what happens over the next couple of months!

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks DipG !

Personally, I started experimenting with T5 supplements to my Radions last week. I've also had great success with Radion specific lighting and my SPS, but I'm a sucker for testing and tinkering. I built a custom floating canopy to encase my three Radions and mount four T5 ballasts, which came from two old ZooMed fixtures. I gutted the fixtures for the ballasts and cut the reflectors and crudely mounted them to the inside of the canopy. I chose ATI Blue Plus bulbs. We'll see what happens over the next couple of months!
One month in, how are things looking? Any better/worse?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back