Let's talk: Tube Anemones

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tube anemones, in my opinion are some of the most beautiful creatures we can house in our aquariums. The way they flow, the array of colors they were created with, and several other factors. How many of you keep tube anemones? Please share your photos, successes, and trials.

Overview from LiveAquaria.com: The Tube Anemone is also referred to as the Tube Dwelling Anemone, and is best kept in a reef or species-only aquarium with a soft, deep substrate. It is actually a distant relative of the true sea anemone. It creates its tube from the nematocysts that it has discharged. Their coloration is highly variable and can range from tan, pink, purple or even have shades of fluorescent green.

The ideal aquarium for the Tube Anemone is one with a deep sand bed, plenty of live rock and a refugium for a natural food source. They are non-photosynthetic and do not require intense lighting. In fact, they are nocturnal in nature and will take time to begin to open during the illuminated hours.

Because they are not photosynthetic, they need to be fed regularly when it is fully expanded. Feed small frozen foods such as brine or mysis shrimp, chopped pieces of fish and zooplankton.

MKA-2220Tube20anemone20Cerianthus20_zps18ce9a75.jpg

W1siZiIsIjIwMTAvMTIvMTAvNDM1LmpwZyJ_zps01b412cd.jpg

Last edited:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tube nems are beautiful! I want one for my tank but am torn as I hear they are a bit aggressive with regards to feeding and their tentacles have a nasty sting. I could be wrong though. They have awesome colors and really stand out in an aquarium though.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one for a long time. Never stung or ate any fish. My mandarin used to swim though the tentacles. I believe they are plankton eaters. Mine wouldn't accept anything much bigger than a mysis. Doesn't mean they can't or won't sting fish but mine never caused any problems. Best part about them is that they don't wander around your tank. Wherever you put them they stay.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

jreece11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept one for a long time. Never stung or ate any fish. My mandarin used to swim though the tentacles. I believe they are plankton eaters. Mine wouldn't accept anything much bigger than a mysis. Doesn't mean they can't or won't sting fish but mine never caused any problems. Best part about them is that they don't wander around your tank. Wherever you put them they stay.

That might be the feedback I need to put one in. I was most worried about my mandarin. Have you noticed sizable growth?

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beautiful orange tentacle and green mouth tube anenome in my Biocube 29 gal.

It was nice for a few months until my 4 year old noticed that one of his clownfish's were being devoured.

I would only recommend this beautiful specimen for large reef tanks.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that was a good segway into the life and death talk?

Was it traumatizing?

Not so much. Luckily we just watched the Lion King movie a few days earlier.

I explained to my son that in nature the circle of life happens on a daily basis.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful creatures. I definitely plan on adding one to my future reef tank.

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now let's see the different color morphs that these come in!

Don Capalchey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually plan on creating a garden for tube Anemone, any info on these guys reproducing?

I have a single tube, for 6 months now.

I feed mine zooplankton. Used to feed reef roids but lost color..purple tips became green ever since.. maybe to much plankton.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back