Let's talk: Tube Anemones

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a beautiful orange and green one the other day. How bad are they about eating fish? I've got a couple fish that are special to me in particular (my regal angel and moorish idol) that I would be devastated at losing. I had a carpet that was a killer and now I'm terrified of the nems!

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been eying these type of nems for awhile. I have an open area in the tank and was thinking of maybe buying a few to add color on the open sand bed I have on the right side ignore the corals that are there. have 310 gallon here is a pic for reference

will they be ok in an open area?

Smallest fish are fire fish Everything else is about 3” and bigger how safe will my fish be?

what is their max size and tentacle reach?
3B0752BE-147B-40D7-8F06-888F020359D6.jpeg

Last edited:

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a common myth that these will kill and eat fish. Although possible to consume a very weak, small or already dead fish, they mostly eat much smaller foods and not fish. Many likely lack the ability to eat something so large. They're gorgeous, and so long as you can give it space from other corals and feed it often they'll make a great addition.

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a common myth that these will kill and eat fish. Although possible to consume a very weak, small or already dead fish, they mostly eat much smaller foods and not fish. Many likely lack the ability to eat something so large. They're gorgeous, and so long as you can give it space from other corals and feed it often they'll make a great addition.

thank you for the quick response, how long can the tentacles get or what is their max size?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread to revive, I have always fancied them, I have a victim favia rescue from my lfs that got cuddled by a pink long tentacled one overnight, hopefully people will have picture updates. :)

LoriC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This tube anemone we've had for 13 years...unfortunately my iPad doesn't show the deep purple center

image.jpg
I placed a tube anemone in my tank about 3 days ago. It arrived on a rock and after one night was lying on the sand bed what appeared to be face down almost and about a 3" body exposed. I haven't tried to move it or cover it up..Its pointed at the side wall of the tank so you can't really see it's "face". I am wondering if I should bury it gently and in doing so get it so its not lying down completely.. I am not sure? I tried feeding it tonight mysis shrimp and it was really responsive, now it looks like its trying to stretch its neck up, like you would if you were lying on your stomach. Any suggestions?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back