Lettuce Algea Taking Over Tank

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I’m having a bit of an issue. Lettuce algea is taking over my tank. It’s been running for 4 months. It’s my third tank, so I really tried my best doing a better set up. Frankly enough, I only have the basic API test kit so never really test it. I religiously just do water changes once a week, about 15% which has gotten me by.

So far, I’ve taken rocks out to clean. I even got Mexican turbo snails to help but it’s only making a little difference.

Anyone have any tips on what to do? I will be buying test kits next week once I go to my LFS. Also, does anyone know what the white spots are on my breeder box? Thanks

IMG_3822.jpeg IMG_3823.jpeg IMG_3824.jpeg IMG_3825.jpeg

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey guys,

I’m having a bit of an issue. Lettuce algea is taking over my tank. It’s been running for 4 months. It’s my third tank, so I really tried my best doing a better set up. Frankly enough, I only have the basic API test kit so never really test it. I religiously just do water changes once a week, about 15% which has gotten me by.

So far, I’ve taken rocks out to clean. I even got Mexican turbo snails to help but it’s only making a little difference.

Anyone have any tips on what to do? I will be buying test kits next week once I go to my LFS. Also, does anyone know what the white spots are on my breeder box? Thanks

IMG_3822.jpeg IMG_3823.jpeg IMG_3824.jpeg IMG_3825.jpeg
I had a similar issue. Some specific snails from reef cleaners did the trick. Money cowrie and ox tongue nerites. Both eat it, but it needs to be cut low. I took a scalpel and scraped the rock as low as I could and just pick up the money cowrie and place them there (ox tongue nerites hang on tight like a limpet).

OP
OP
T

TheNewClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue. Some specific snails from reef cleaners did the trick. Money cowrie and ox tongue nerites. Both eat it, but it needs to be cut low. I took a scalpel and scraped the rock as low as I could and just pick up the money cowrie and place them there (ox tongue nerites hang on tight like a limpet).
Thanks, I’ll try to find those CUC. Quick question, do you know what the white spots is on my breeder box? Is it coralline? It’s the only area in my tank with it

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post but the answer to your question is yes the white spots are Coralline algae and if scrap it off it will grow faster if you’d like to have it grow faster

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back