LFS Charged me shipping

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m not sure what to do. So he did mention at first that there’s a $200 shipping fee, but I didn’t think much of it since it is a huge tank and usually there is a charge for delivering such
big items. I wouldn’t be sure how to bring it up without sounding like I’m accusing them of taking $200 from me.
Again, is the LFS delivering the tank to you?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking Ask Me GIF by PinkNews

OP
OP
Tavo_mkv

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No LFS isn’t delivering it to me. He told me the shipping company would give me a call for details about delivering. I understand I was told and paid the $200, I didn’t think much of it at the some since it’s my first time buying a RS tank and considering it’s a 525 I figured it’s normal. Of course I should’ve inquired more about that. I was just trying to figure out if others paid a shipping fee when buying from LFS. Like I said, if it’s a legitimate charge I don’t mind. I guess I’ll just have to call them and ask them

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No LFS isn’t delivering it to me. He told me the shipping company would give me a call for details about delivering. I understand I was told and paid the $200, I didn’t think much of it at the some since it’s my first time buying a RS tank and considering it’s a 525 I figured it’s normal. Of course I should’ve inquired more about that. I was just trying to figure out if others paid a shipping fee when buying from LFS. Like I said, if it’s a legitimate charge I don’t mind. I guess I’ll just have to call them and ask them
Ok, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a delivery/setup fee.

OP
OP
Tavo_mkv

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also possible that Red Sea doesn't charge a retailer shipping but does work shipping into their prices for direct customers... Still worth asking Re Sea and the LFS, just for clarification.
That’s what I was thinking, but if that was the case the price on BRS should be the same as LFS. I ordered through LFS to support the store. Ive bought a lot of stuff from them for the same reason. Cause i could’ve just ordered through BRS and saved a trip to LFS and this issue.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking, but if that was the case the price on BRS should be the same as LFS. I ordered through LFS to support the store. Ive bought a lot of stuff from them for the same reason. Cause i could’ve just ordered through BRS and saved a trip to LFS and this issue.
When you say "... the same as [the price from the] LFS", are you meaning the total cost (tank plus $200 shipping)? If not, then BRS probably includes any shipping cost into the price of the tank...

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difference being, when you go through the LFS that means Red Sea have to share the profit with the LFS, so they get less profit, this could be a reason why they then charge the LFS for delivering the tank to you, either way it’s crazy you were charged $200, you really need to ask RS what they charged the LFS, then go from there.

OP
OP
Tavo_mkv

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "... the same as [the price from the] LFS", are you meaning the total cost (tank plus $200 shipping)? If not, then BRS probably includes any shipping cost into the price of the tank...
So price with the tax and (free shipping) from BRS would’ve been, when I priced it out on there site $6,340. My LFS was $6,540 including the $200 shipping fee

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So price with the tax and (free shipping) from BRS would’ve been, when I priced it out on there site $6,340. My LFS was $6,540 with the $200 shipping charge
Yeah, they owe you $200... at least in services or store credit

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming this was shipped to your house in a box truck correct? Some guy had to lower it off the truck on a pallet and use a pallet jack to bring it up to your driveway? If that's the case then a shipping fee seems pretty normal to be. This is a delivery that only goes to your house. It's not like the Amazon guy who while he's delivering your package he's also delivering a package to 90 other houses in your neighborhood. So the cost goes up.

If you feel this was an unjust charge you can plead your case with the LFS but like I believe was already mentioned, if the shipping charge was noted on the bill before you swiped your credit card you might have a hard time fighting it.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when you have no local fish stores left because they can't compete with online pricing, you will only have yourself to blame.
I would argue this is a case where it’s the exact opposite, MAP pricing allows lfs to compete with online since it’s the same price. If the store is trying to make extra money by, what seems like, a false shipping charge the reason that lfs would fail is due to it gouging customers.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a tank and it arrived a couple days ago. Purchased through SWA and dropped shipped to me directly from RS. Granted it was only a max nano peninsula but still came double boxed on a double pallet on a semi driven into my neighborhood. Was not charged for shipping at all. I also ordered a reefer 625xxl G2 a couple years ago and that was through a local dealer. Same thing no shipping costs. I even asked up front if I was liable for shipping. And the answer was no RS does not charge for shipping whether it came to the store or was drop shipped directly to me it didn't matter. Just be nice to the driver so he'll at least roll it into the garage if you have. Otherwise it will be left outside for you to deal with.

OP
OP
Tavo_mkv

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming this was shipped to your house in a box truck correct? Some guy had to lower it off the truck on a pallet and use a pallet jack to bring it up to your driveway? If that's the case then a shipping fee seems pretty normal to be. This is a delivery that only goes to your house. It's not like the Amazon guy who while he's delivering your package he's also delivering a package to 90 other houses in your neighborhood. So the cost goes up.

If you feel this was an unjust charge you can plead your case with the LFS but like I believe was already mentioned, if the shipping charge was noted on the bill before you swiped your credit card you might have a hard time fighting it.
Yes it’s being shipped to my house. Like I said I understand if it’s a legitimate shipping charge that many others have paid as well being that some guys in a freight truck is going to come drop off my huge tank. I don’t care about paying something that many other reefers have paid as well. So I have to get on here and ask y’all so I can know. If a lot of people would have said “yes it’s normal I got charged as well” then problem solved no issue. But so far that has not been the case and so it leaves me feeling a bit doubtful

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when you have no local fish stores left because they can't compete with online pricing, you will only have yourself to blame.
The LFS didn’t even stock the tank, they probably get a couple of grand for a phone call, by the sounds of it they didn’t even have a display model for the op to view… an extra $200 for shipping from Red Sea seems a little greedy, if that’s what we are trying to keep LFS’s open for, I say let them close.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most everyone, it sounds like the LFS is screwing OP over. I purchase through my favorite LFS when I can, even on items with a higher price in store than online. But I would complain about this and tell them they either need to refund the fee, give me store credit or lose my business and complain to RedSea and see if this is a violation of their agreement. It seems like its only this LFS charging a shipping fee.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So price with the tax and (free shipping) from BRS would’ve been, when I priced it out on there site $6,340. My LFS was $6,540 including the $200 shipping fee
You got charged 3% over the list price, and with the way taxes are collected in California I'm not certain that you didn't actually owe this, but I'm only guessing here. Our state is a mess and if you used a credit card for this purchase that 3% is a wash.

Best to have a face to face and find out what the LFS was up to instead of us all guessing. More importantly, don't let the experience ruin your enjoyment of the tank. If that is going to happen then sell it now before you fill it.

OP
OP
Tavo_mkv

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got charged 3% over the list price, and with the way taxes are collected in California I'm not certain that you didn't actually owe this, but I'm only guessing here. Our state is a mess and if you used a credit card for this purchase that 3% is a wash.

Best to have a face to face and find out what the LFS was up to instead of us all guessing. More importantly, don't let the experience ruin your enjoyment of the tank. If that is going to happen then sell it now before you fill it.
I paid cash, but yeah It won’t ruin my enjoyment , I’m still excited about my new tank and all the fish and coral I’m going to be adding. Im going from a 30 gallon to a 525 so it’s quite exciting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back