LFS Charged me shipping

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I bought my first Red Sea tank (525) and I’m kind of thinking skeptically here because my LFS charged me $200for shipping, but I’m confused as to if that’s normal or not as I cannot find anything online about Red Sea charging for shipping. BRS has no shipping charge when item is at checkout. I ordered through my LFS because they’re great and I like to support them. Any insight ?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I bought my first Red Sea tank (525) and I’m kind of thinking skeptically here because my LFS charged me $200for shipping, but I’m confused as to if that’s normal or not as I cannot find anything online about Red Sea charging for shipping. BRS has no shipping charge when item is at checkout. I ordered through my LFS because they’re great and I like to support them. Any insight ?
Are they an authorized redsea dealer?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it shipped direct from Red Sea or from stock at the LFS?

If it was from the LFS I guess someone has to pay the shipping

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw bulk reef supply has the red sea tanks ship directly to you from the dealer.

If the LFS is upcharging for shipping they are hopefully just passing the cost to you and hopefully not trying to get a bit more profit from a MAP priced item.

If its the former, and you like the LFS, then support them instead of feeling ripped off.

OP
OP
Tavo_mkv

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw bulk reef supply has the red sea tanks ship directly to you from the dealer.

If the LFS is upcharging for shipping they are hopefully just passing the cost to you and hopefully not trying to get a bit more profit from a MAP priced item.

If its the former, and you like the LFS, then support them instead of feeling ripped off.
Yeah Im hoping and would fully understand if it’s a cost being passed onto me as it’s being delivered to my home. That’s why I wanted to ask on here first before just asking my LFS why they would charge me for shipping when BRS wouldn’t. If it’s a cost that BRS eats up, then I totally understand that a small LFS would pass shipping onto me and I’d be ok with that.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchased 2 RS tanks. A 625xxl G2 from my lfs and a peninsula max nano on black Friday from saltwater aquarium. Wasn't charged shipping for either. Both direct shipped.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At my LFS, I ordered tanks for customers and shipping was worked into price if any applied and I did not add shipping to an agreed price.
Unless you were told there would be shipping charges added at time of pick up, Id argue it or at least ask them to split OR find a different LFS for the rest of your needs. They will lose that $200 in future sales easily

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the tank ship to the LFS and then they delivered it to you? If so, it's a legit delivery charge...

OP
OP
Tavo_mkv

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m not sure what to do. So he did mention at first that there’s a $200 shipping fee, but I didn’t think much of it since it is a huge tank and usually there is a charge for delivering such
big items. I wouldn’t be sure how to bring it up without sounding like I’m accusing them of taking $200 from me.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a reefer xl 300 G2 in February from a lfs and did not pay shipping. I actually got it for considerably less than MAP pricing as well but won't go into details other than to say cash is king :winking-face:

EDIT: if you were made aware of the fee up front I'm not sure you have a legitimate complaint. Probably should have inquired before ordering.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m not sure what to do. So he did mention at first that there’s a $200 shipping fee, but I didn’t think much of it since it is a huge tank and usually there is a charge for delivering such
big items. I wouldn’t be sure how to bring it up without sounding like I’m accusing them of taking $200 from me.
Ring Red Sea and ask them, they will tell you if the LFS was charged a shipping fee to ship it to you, if Red Sea charged the LFS $200, and the LFS told you they were going to charge you $200 then there is not much you can do apart from tell them you don’t believe it’s fair and ask them for a full or partial refund…if they were not charged then again all you can do is ask for a courtesy refund, as again they did tell you and you paid it, they could have asked for $500 and if you paid it to them you wouldn’t have a right to ask for it back, if you willing paid it.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were told about the $200 shipping charge, and agreed to it... I'm not sure you have a legitimate complaint. However, as far as I know, Red Sea tanks are stored in Red Sea's warehouse in Texas and drop shipped directly to your house. It saves on storage at the retailer, and it saves Red Sea having extra shipping cost and extra potential for damage from double shipping.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back