Licmophora algae? (microscope picture)

Reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2reef members,

I have some algae growing on pumps and a bit on rocks (well actually growing on top of other algae already on rocks).
I first thought it is cyano as it is a bit red/brown and can look dusty but also sometimes with strings
To further ID it, I checked it under microscope and here is what I see (attached picture)

Does anyone know what this is? Have you come across this algae before?
I think it could be licmophora diatoms but I am not sure

Thank you for your help!

20200524_134219.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefr

Reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the prompt reply, I appreciate

I didn't even know licmophora before googling "algae microscope needles" and it's when I found pictures similar to the one you found :)

It looks indeed like what I have but I really thought it was cyano since both my phosphates & nitrates have bottomed out near 0 recently. I used to have some nice ulva macro growing and that started to die/detach before almost completely disappearing (due to a too low nutrient load I guess)

I'm actually not sure why a diatom would start showing up at this stage but microscope pictures don't look like cyano, that's for sure

I'm trying to slowly raise PO4 and NO3 by dosing it and I hope to re-establish a better equilibrium. I'm also dosing less carbon and I stopped filtering with activated carbon once a week

But if it's really diatom, I don't know if what I'm doing will help

I had to google but I believe you are correct. The pictures match...did you see this site?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Reefr...From reefbums: Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates.
Is this a newer tank? Any pics of the algae as it shows in the tank? And what do you have for a clean up crew?

OP
OP
Reefr

Reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TriggerFinger, the tank is 1,5 year old. For CUC I have a turbo, astreas, trochus and 2 tuxedo urchins. The urchins seem to clean part of the rocks as they munch on algae/coralline. I attach a picture: the algae is brown and growing on top of red algae that was already on the rocks (but kept under control by the urchins)

Algae_Reefr.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, looks fluffy rather than filmy/dusty like normal diatoms. Maybe it’s feeding off the the algae it’s covering? Can you take any rock out and scrub it off?

OP
OP
Reefr

Reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's more fluffy than filmy although it can look dusty on the pumps (probably depends on how tall it grew).
Actually it looks similar to one of the pictures I saw on the page you linked in your first reply
My next step is indeed trying to scrub it off. I'm lucky because rocks are not too big so I can take them out
But I tried to brush it off one of my pumps and it's very easy to remove, like diatoms. So I really think it's a kind of diatom, most likely licmophora or similar (but there are so many kinds of diatoms...)
I'm rather unlucky with my tank, I think I had all the algae a reefer can imagine ;) Maybe for my next tank I'll start with dry rock...

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the thread updated with what does or does not work please. Hopefully you can get it under control. I’m a big fan of liverock...I won’t start any tank with dry again but a lot of people only use dry and have very successful tanks.

OP
OP
Reefr

Reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @TriggerFinger for your time and your help. I'll definitely keep the thread updated.
I find it fascinating the way algae (macro or not) come and go and that our tanks are constantly evolving, showing different phases. That's why reefing is interesting ;) And I know live rock should be the way to go... I'll decide what to do with the next tank - the current one is not too bad as I managed all sorts of algae (good way to learn!)
Take care

Wampatom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it is small quantities throughout my aquariums. It does not seem to be noxious. Here is a link where I could see it from the outside of my aquarium:

wampatom: amazing macro, photo through glass then microscope

OP
OP
Reefr

Reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good quality pictures, thank you

And yes, the algae A really looks like what I have
Is it always under control in your tanks? Do you see it responding to some changes in parameters?

I have it is small quantities throughout my aquariums. It does not seem to be noxious. Here is a link where I could see it from the outside of my aquarium:

wampatom: amazing macro, photo through glass then microscope

kjbrooks71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red stringing algae in my tank also. Its in the sand, covering the rock and zoas. Most of it will come off with the turkey baster, the some of the stringer parts just blow in the current. Its driving me crazy.
I have not looked at it under a microscope. I will try to post a pic when i get home this afternoon.

Back