Lifespan of pH Probe

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do most people get out of a pH probe? I just replaced my PinPoint pH probe today the old one failed several months ago giving a raw reading of like 2000. I bought that one in 2016.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate my apex ph probe monthly and I usually purchase new probes every year or so to have piece of mind.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annually wow! OK I'll have to pay attention more. I don't have anything like a macro set up to do something based on pH so it is not that critical that they work 100% of the time. But I will get a spare. When replacing the pH probe, it looks like my other probe is also toast. So I guess I need to order 2 more. Are you using the Pinpoint ones?

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the quality of the probe and what its measuring. They should be calibrated every month or so and the hobby grade ones we get I would expect to last 1 yr to 2/2.5 yrs. Now if you use it for measuring kalk stirrer pH or something life expectancy will tend to drop because particulates can plug the holes in the probe and cause it to fail.
As a reference the ones I use in industrial applications are either Metler Toledo or Emmerson with an advertised lif expectance of 2-3 yrs last between 3-4 years with 2x per month cals.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longest I have had one last is three+ years. They use to last me two years until I built a low flow probe holder that also blocks light. The less marine growth and less water passing the probe extended their lives by 50%.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back