Light My New Tank

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still planning out some things on my new build, one of those being lighting. The tank is 48x18x24 and I will definitely be going the LED route.
I have narrowed down my lighting to the following.
- Single Kessil AP700
- 2 Hydra 26HD
- 2 Chinese Black Box
- 2 Radion XR15 Pro
My current reef has been under black boxes and growth is good, I would just really like to be able to control everything from my phone. I would like to keep the total under $1000, which is why I decided against Hydra 52s or G4 XR30s (unless I am able to find some used for a good price). While I would prefer either of those over the earlier options, they’re just really not feasible for lots of people, ESPECIALLY on the budget of a highschool student. If you have any other suggestions or have input on which out of the above lights you like best, please let me know!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good choices. And tough ones.

IMO , I prefer a multi emitter rather than pucks.
Reefbreeders , ort247 , sb reef ultras , BBs , and orpheck are examples of this.

As far as controll goes, that just costs money and is a preference, and so times liability IMO.
Usability and ease of those would be more of a concern to me.
Ramping does rock.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x AI Prime. You’ll be able to space them out and make sure to get appropriate coverage everywhere.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x AI Prime. You’ll be able to space them out and make sure to get appropriate coverage everywhere.

Do you think an AI Prime will still be producing decent PAR at the bottom? I’m not too concerned about coverage as the tank will only have 2 main rock structures, which will be centered under each half of the tank. That’s why I was thinking just 2 lights would be good.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good choices. And tough ones.

IMO , I prefer a multi emitter rather than pucks.
Reefbreeders , ort247 , sb reef ultras , BBs , and orpheck are examples of this.

As far as controll goes, that just costs money and is a preference, and so times liability IMO.
Usability and ease of those would be more of a concern to me.
Ramping does rock.

I looked at SB and reef breeders earlier, none really caught my eye. However I am looking at the Orphek V4 now and it looks very promising. I just don’t think I need all that light lol!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still planning out some things on my new build, one of those being lighting. The tank is 48x18x24 and I will definitely be going the LED route.
I have narrowed down my lighting to the following.
- Single Kessil AP700
- 2 Hydra 26HD
- 2 Chinese Black Box
- 2 Radion XR15 Pro
My current reef has been under black boxes and growth is good, I would just really like to be able to control everything from my phone. I would like to keep the total under $1000, which is why I decided against Hydra 52s or G4 XR30s (unless I am able to find some used for a good price). While I would prefer either of those over the earlier options, they’re just really not feasible for lots of people, ESPECIALLY on the budget of a highschool student. If you have any other suggestions or have input on which out of the above lights you like best, please let me know!
The kessil would be able to handle this footprint for a mixed reef with only one fixture. And is WiFi controllable, but only when your tablet or phone is connected to your home wifi network. The Hydra 26's are wifi controllable from anywhere in the world but you would want two fixtures. The black boxes are not programmable or controllable at all other than an on off timer, however, they are considerably less expensive and have been proven to be able to grow virtually any coral. The radions can be wifi controlled but you have to purchase an additional reeflink module.
Kessil always gets my vote ! :) hope this helps :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ai would be fine , you'll likely want multiples depending on live stock.

Chek their website tools for the specs.

It's the depth that you'd have a slight concern with.

IMO , you'd want to target 75 100 par on the sand with some falloff spots.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kessil would be able to handle this footprint for a mixed reef with only one fixture. And is WiFi controllable, but only when your tablet or phone is connected to your home wifi network. The Hydra 26's are wifi controllable from anywhere in the world but you would want two fixtures. The black boxes are not programmable or controllable at all other than an on off timer. The radions can be wifi controlled but you have to purchase an additional reeflink module.
Kessil always gets my vote ! :) hope this helps :)

I am pretty much thinking either the Hydra 26s or Kessil unless someone really brings something up to swing my head. I’m glad to hear you like the Kessils though! Probably should have mentioned the layout of the tank in the original post as well. The left side of the tank will have one tall column deprecate into 2 pieces with a gap between at the bottom. Then a little under a foot of open sand, then a low area of rock. The left side will have all acros up top and then gorgonians in the middle with some other random stuff scattered below that. Not too sure what is going on the right side yet, but I’m thinking lots of zoas, some leathers and a nice big plating monti.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty much thinking either the Hydra 26s or Kessil unless someone really brings something up to swing my head. I’m glad to hear you like the Kessils though! Probably should have mentioned the layout of the tank in the original post as well. The left side of the tank will have one tall column deprecate into 2 pieces with a gap between at the bottom. Then a little under a foot of open sand, then a low area of rock. The left side will have all acros up top and then gorgonians in the middle with some other random stuff scattered below that. Not too sure what is going on the right side yet, but I’m thinking lots of zoas, some leathers and a nice big plating monti.
You can also consider @saltyfilmfolks suggestion of AI primes. They are very similar to the Hydra's

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think an AI Prime will still be producing decent PAR at the bottom? I’m not too concerned about coverage as the tank will only have 2 main rock structures, which will be centered under each half of the tank. That’s why I was thinking just 2 lights would be good.
Yeah it'll be great for your tank!

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it'll be great for your tank!

Nice video, actually gets better PAR that deep than I expected. I probably should’ve mentioned that I can’t do 4 lights for the same reason I can’t use T5 or MH. Dad doesn’t want that much electricity being drawn. Wonder if 2 would suffice or I’m better off going with another option?

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hydra 26 HD if you don't go the 4 AI Prime route. If you mount the ai26 long across you will have a hot spot in the middle of your tank. Better light dispersion with 4 single AI Primes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back