Light out time for bristle worm infestation.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completely in awe! I've never seen anything like that.
I am just amazed there is enough food in your system to feed that many. I'd just keep trapping and hopefully their numbers dwindle.

islandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, I think I would start all over in that case. Man oh man that is alott. I think my malanaures wrasse would have a field day in there.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone needs to get over there with a dslr and get some good photos. Your gona be in reefing history books bro lol

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost think you better off taking what corals you have out and just nuking the tank. There are to many to deal with from what i see!!!

Where did you get your rock? They had to come from somewhere!!!

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so crazy!! If you keep doing the panty hose trick you'll eventually get them all. They've got to be starving! Especially if you're going to cut back on feeding.

OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question now is why should I get rid of them. Why cut back on feeding? Will they eventually harm anything? From what I understand they are not harmful. Those that come out during the day are eaten and I don't see any during day hours. I don't have to ever see them. I don't have algae problems. Nothing is left. Heck if a fish dies I don't worry about it just don't feed tank at all.
What is the downside of having them?
I did the pantyhose thing again and caught a lot more dint know how long I will continue. Beside I'm going on vacation an I'm making no changes ti afterwards
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348774789.151148.jpg

Not very many on this panty hose cause I accidentally put it in front of my mp40 taking it out. Blew away most in a snow storm of worms. Glad I used long thongs.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the bioload alone from those guys must be pretty hefty. I am concerned that something might happen in your tank that might kill them all off at once. To much of anything is never a good thing.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are known to take food away from corals and other critters. I've had the pleasure myself of watching many a tug-o-wars going on between bristle worms and my mandarin and my skunk cleaner shrimp over pieces of food.
What you have going on is definitely to much of a good thing. Just keep trapping until you get their numbers in check.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats crazy.

I've just noticed about 5 bristle worms in my 40 Breedr and I started to have nightmares that I was pulling out 2-3 ft ones out of my tank.

Good luck with the infestation. Luckily they don't come out during the day.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be on that show "infested"! Ill never forget I had one little guy in a tank and I was like what is that wierd little thing going in ad out of that rock..
2 weeks later
There were hundreds-.- some 5 inches long just cruising along the sand bed. I eventually just hand fed my fish for a while and they died out quickly!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back