Light out time for bristle worm infestation.

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got bristle worms. Not just a little. I have so many that you can't see the rocks on any given night. True infestation. I have an arrow crab but he can't keep up. If he killed 30 a day , he dont,he still not gonna touch them. I bought a mystery wrasse thinking he would help control population. And he does during the day. I use to see tons of them during the day as we'll now they only come out at knight.
Took a picture with my phone of them just begining to cover the rocks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348286324.751097.jpg

Thinking about a bluejaw trigger. Do they eat these little buggers?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! Cut back on feeding and they'll starve. Coral banded shrimp are also known to eat them. Not sure I'd that's compatible with the fish you have tough.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. Never saw soo many.

OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. Never saw soo many.

That ain't nothing if I take one around 1 am you wouldn't believe it. I know banded shrimp eat them but at this point I would need more than one. If 20 of them die a day it wouldn't be enouph. Everyone of my 150 lb of live rock is covered.
I was hoping it was just a cycle my tank was going threw. And they would over populate and die off. No such luck. I feed 2 times a day and only pellets. My tang and wrasse eat it all. Maybe they living off of fish poop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa...

That's crazy! I've never seen a bristle worm population like that. I thought I had them bad in my old tank, but this makes my previous situation look like child's play. Good luck in your fight on this.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be better off making a trap to take them out. With that many I'd be worried about starving them as if too many die at once you may see a Amm spike. As far as what eats them a melanarus and six line wrasse will. But that will only be by day. Crabs and shrimp will be the best bet at night.

On to other business. I am in the market for some. Yes I want them in my tank. Not that many, but some nonetheless. If you can figure out how to ship them, and can catch them I'll take a dozen or so. I'll pay shipping of course. I'm willing to bet if you put them up as available you would get some takers.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard you can put a piece of shrimp in pantyhose and the worms will get tangled and trap themselves. It would take a lot of pantyhose but it might be worth a try to see how many you could catch at once and remove. I've never tried it myself though.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think id rather just dry the rock out at this point and deal with all that. Wear gloves if u do lol. GL bro

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought I had a bunch in my 92 heh. I got rid of most of those by ditching my sand bed.

ironworker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found the mother bristleworm when i moved my old tank, she hidden under a rock and was super fat and the ugliest creature i have ever seen

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 26g during lights on. Using a knees high stocking filled with a small piece of rubble (for weight) bated with freeze dried Krill. In a 4hr period I pulled out 100! Yes I counted them. The trap works great! I've since cut down on feeding the entire tank and their numbers have diminished greatly :)
my8ugy9a.jpg

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cleaned the sand.... stop overfeeding.......... you wont have this problem. At this point your only solution is to trap them and for crying out loud stop throwing pork chops in the tank do not kill them in the tank amonia will kill everything else !!!!!:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol stocking it is with bait. Why couldn't this be a problem with pods and not worms. Pork chops lol that's funny. They are Muslim worms. They don't eat pork. Lol lol. I eat enouph bacon for the both of us. Might make pork chops tonight

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey do I just drop the sticking in. Will they find their way in the opening?

Lets see ima trap them tonight. I haven't feed my tank in 24 hours. Any bets on how many I'll catch tonight? Whoever comes close ill ship them all to you. ( if u pay for shipping)

OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had nightmare once that kinda looked like that.....:neutral:

It's truely gross when u turn a flashlight on them and see nothing but worms in your tank crawling for cover. Not even seeing the rocks. Lawd

I usually get 50-100 in my filter sock every change

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back