Light Rail Ideas

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m in the planning stages of my new 400 gallon in-wall tank, in terms of lighting I’m planning to go with 4 Orphek Atlantik V2 lights (24.2 x 9.3 inches, 17 pounds each).

My question is about how to mount them in such a way that they are suspended above the tank but movable so I can get some clearance while working in the tank (tank will be about 32 inches tall and 32 inches front to back).

Any ideas or designs you could point me to that could help me get something clean and functional?

OP
OP
widarecu

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocket door rails and trucks. Suspend the rails anyway you like using 2X4s or 80/10 aluminum.
Cheers,
Ray
Thanks a lot, that’s exactly what I was looking for I just didn’t know the name, “pocket door” rails and trucks is the way to go

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you install in an enclosed space (such as a canopy or boxed in a wall), remember to provide lots of redundant air circulation. Think along the lines of a computer case and a hand full of super quiet case fans to move the air out to keep the electronics from cooking.
Cheers
Ray

OP
OP
widarecu

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did. I used 2x4 but wish I would have used 80 20. I use a winch to raise and lower. I detailed it in my build thread page 2.
Why? What did you find with the 2x4? ... Having a look to your build thread now :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
widarecu

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you install in an enclosed space (such as a canopy or boxed in a wall), remember to provide lots of redundant air circulation. Think along the lines of a computer case and a hand full of super quiet case fans to move the air out to keep the electronics from cooking.
Cheers
Ray
This is something in my to-do list, I’ll probably post another thread to gather ideas as well ... lucky I still have plenty of time ;)

Back