Light Suggestion for reef tank

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed my tank from a 90 to a 130. The tank is shorter than my last one but it is wider. 48 x 24 x 22. I currently have 3x AI 16s and they are great, cover the whole tank and perform awesome for the price. However now I'm considering switching over to either 2 Hydra 32s, 2 Radio RX15, or adding a fourth 16 instead. I really enjoy the way you can control the AI lights with the app, when I had gen 3 radions I didn't like how you had to connect the light to the laptop.

I primarily have LPS and softies, nothing too light intensive. However I am thinking of getting into simple SPS (not a big fan of SPS but that's where the money is at to fund my tank). So I was wondering what would be better if I want to get into some simple SPS corals.

With the increase in light prices I was concerned but my friend owns a store so he can get me the lights for the price he gets them, which is pretty great.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run kessils on my 90 gallon and am going to add T5. I love the look of kessil however I think things will grow better with the T5 so going the hybrid route.

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run kessils on my 90 gallon and am going to add T5. I love the look of kessil however I think things will grow better with the T5 so going the hybrid route.
I thought about running T5s but I don't know how I would set them up. I can't hang them from the ceiling and the tank doesn't allow them to be placed from one end to another. I don't know if they sell any mount that bolts to the wall instead.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about running T5s but I don't know how I would set them up. I can't hang them from the ceiling and the tank doesn't allow them to be placed from one end to another. I don't know if they sell any mount that bolts to the wall instead.
I installed a cheap metal shelf above my tank. Storage room and ability to hang lights.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BRS has tons of videos on lighting for 4’ tanks. They have one using AI prime 16HD as well.

Adding another prime makes more economical sense, unless you are going for an acropora dominant tank.

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about using some Kessils with two 48" Reef Brite strips for fill over a tank that is 56" wide. You should be able to do the same with your AI lights.

I know Reef Brite makes a hybrid mount for this setup but I think it is designed for ceiling mount and it's kind of expensive for what it is.

I think you could also make a wall mount using some simple 8020 aluminum extrusions.

OP
OP
Mflores888

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has tons of videos on lighting for 4’ tanks. They have one using AI prime 16HD as well.

Adding another prime makes more economical sense, unless you are going for an acropora dominant tank.
I mostly just want to keep simple SPS, nothing too crazy and just 20%-30% SPS and the rest what I normally have already. One of my lights is having fan problems so I need to replace the fan as well

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly just want to keep simple SPS, nothing too crazy and just 20%-30% SPS and the rest what I normally have already. One of my lights is having fan problems so I need to replace the fan as well
T5 and halide are the most forgiving. I've had issues with just LED is why I'm leaning toward hybrid. Single point of light par is different than spread out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back