Light Transmission of Clear 1/4" Mesh

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted some info a week or so ago about light transmission of glass, plastic, window screen mesh. The question came up about the clear 1/4" mesh some use to keep fish from jumping out of the tank. I received some of this mesh yesterday and tested. My initial impression was that there would not be a measurable effect, but I was wrong. PAR was reduced by about 4 percent.

amesh.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
I never cared for filter socks. I accept a possible cloudier tank as a result.

I stayed away from tank covers be it glass, acrylic, egg crate, and nets. I assumed it would impact light but being ignorant didn't know how much. Just applied common sense that it would. The test you did last week or so confirmed there is a price. This confirmed even a small one when using nets.

I accept the possible risk of a fish jumping out as a result. Or more specific I will limit the fish to not include "known" jumpers but also accept the risk they might.

As always - thanks for doing this. Really appreciate it as it helps people make decisions and risk management. Hope you have an amazing weekend! Virtual smack on the back (lightly of course :) ).

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I had always heard guesses of around 10%. I don't know a lot of people who run their lights at 100% intensity anyway, so keeping the fish in the tank vs having to bump intensity up a little seems like a fair tradeoff.

@Dana Riddle Have you tested the black netting? I prefer it to the clear netting because it isn't as visible due to the reduced glare. I have some extra stashed away somewhere and can send you a piece if you'd like, PM me and let me know how much you'd need and how to get it to you.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I had always heard guesses of around 10%. I don't know a lot of people who run their lights at 100% intensity anyway, so keeping the fish in the tank vs having to bump intensity up a little seems like a fair tradeoff.

@Dana Riddle Have you tested the black netting? I prefer it to the clear netting because it isn't as visible due to the reduced glare. I have some extra stashed away somewhere and can send you a piece if you'd like, PM me and let me know how much you'd need and how to get it to you.
Yes the black netting was discussed in the original thread.... I think the black netting reduced PAR by ALOT more than 4%

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s the original thread:

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the black netting was discussed in the original thread.... I think the black netting reduced PAR by ALOT more than 4%
The mesh in the original thread was black fiberglass windowing screening. Light reduction was 44%.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this the 1/4" black screen, or the mesh used for window screens?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle

Do you have a value for white egg crate by any chance?
Yes, but it depends. There is cheap egg crate that has walls of uniform thickness. It blocks light. Then there is more expensive egg crate that has a thick side and a thin side. Light can be focused or diffused depending upon which side is up. Let me know what you have and I'll test.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes, but it depends. There is cheap egg crate that has walls of uniform thickness. It blocks light. Then there is more expensive egg crate that has a thick side and a thin side. Light can be focused or diffused depending upon which side is up. Let me know what you have and I'll test.

Thin-thick, thin facing up toward lights.

This is on a "temporary" setup but I wonder for future use.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4" black mesh, just like the clear stuff in the first picture of this thread.
Using a Seneye I found a 20% PAR reduction using 1/4" black mesh. I changed it to 3/4" and the PAR reduction dropped to 10%. Clear 1/4" was comparable to Dana, around 4%.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed that my 75G tank with BRS DIY screen top has 1/8” clear screen.
Would the smaller holes lend to further loss of PAR over that of the 1/4 screen?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed that my 75G tank with BRS DIY screen top has 1/8” clear screen.
Would the smaller holes lend to further loss of PAR over that of the 1/4 screen?
I think so, but I'll double up the mesh to get 1/8" holes and check.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back