Light Transmission of Clear 1/4" Mesh

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Larry L was kind enough to send 1/4" black mesh for testing. It reduced light intensity by a whopping 18%.
Matches what I found with my Seneye. Which is good since there was some discussion in my thread that the high results I was seeing may be due to the way the Seneye works and not actual light reduction.

U

User1

View Badges
Matches what I found with my Seneye. Which is good since there was some discussion in my thread that the high results I was seeing may be due to the way the Seneye works and not actual light reduction.

Do you mean with regards to how the Seneye gives results? I'm not an expert but the device seems pretty rock solid to me and the numbers, well, are within what I read on the net for my lights. I've always read that it reports numbers pretty close to some of the more expensive units.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean with regards to how the Seneye gives results? I'm not an expert but the device seems pretty rock solid to me and the numbers, well, are within what I read on the net for my lights. I've always read that it reports numbers pretty close to some of the more expensive units.
I don't know either.

Here's the quote I was basing my comment on.
I tested before and found less than 2% difference with the 1/2 mesh. This was with Apogee 510. I wonder if a cosine corrected vs a non cosine corrected sensor played a part.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently ordered the D-D Jumpguard mesh DIY product with black mesh. So I was a bit surprised to read the results given on this thread.

On the D-D website, it states:

"For those concerned with loss of light penetration into your reef tanks, we tested light levels with a Apogee MQ-200 meter and got the following results:
PAR without cover around 390 - 400 • PAR with cover around 380 - 390 • Approximately a 2.5% reduction in light with no shadowing at all."

Link here.

So a bit confused here unless the info on their website is incorrect... or the mesh is different?

;Wideyed

JarJarBinks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never cared for filter socks. I accept a possible cloudier tank as a result.

I stayed away from tank covers be it glass, acrylic, egg crate, and nets. I assumed it would impact light but being ignorant didn't know how much. Just applied common sense that it would. The test you did last week or so confirmed there is a price. This confirmed even a small one when using nets.

I accept the possible risk of a fish jumping out as a result. Or more specific I will limit the fish to not include "known" jumpers but also accept the risk they might.

As always - thanks for doing this. Really appreciate it as it helps people make decisions and risk management. Hope you have an amazing weekend! Virtual smack on the back (lightly of course :) ).
I've had a Green Chromis jump out through a 3 inch gap at the back of my lid. What are some other "known jumpers"?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst are wrasses, firefish, clowns and hawk fish. The reality is just about any fish can and will if startled.

Last edited:

The Black One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently ordered the D-D Jumpguard mesh DIY product with black mesh. So I was a bit surprised to read the results given on this thread.

On the D-D website, it states:

"For those concerned with loss of light penetration into your reef tanks, we tested light levels with a Apogee MQ-200 meter and got the following results:
PAR without cover around 390 - 400 • PAR with cover around 380 - 390 • Approximately a 2.5% reduction in light with no shadowing at all."

Link here.

So a bit confused here unless the info on their website is incorrect... or the mesh is different?

;Wideyed
Have u noticed any par reduction or lack of coral growth since installing your DD Jumpguard??

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed Clearview lids some months back. I had not read this thread, but assuming the clear 1/4” mesh reduced light penetration, I bumped my AI32’s up.

Attachments

• 22C1AABD-9FDD-42BF-B909-83DCA92A5C0F.jpeg
    22C1AABD-9FDD-42BF-B909-83DCA92A5C0F.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 27CF94FF-BEA7-42A0-821E-EB5A616A6B3F.jpeg
    27CF94FF-BEA7-42A0-821E-EB5A616A6B3F.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 26

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back