Light upgrade

Jaywat777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrading my marine reef tank lights. I currently have a Fluval Aquasky strip that are suitable for marine fish tanks only. I have a few corals that have a brown tinge as the lights are not adequate enough to enhance/pop their colours. I have a hood so would be open to any suggestions of reef lights that would fit in a hood. I'm prepared to dismantle the hood leaving the pelmet for effect, and fit one or two clip ons. I realise that these are quite expensive. I've been seaeching on the Amazon website l. My budget is £200. I'd welcome any suggestions. See attached image of my tank. Thanks

20230806_183813.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrading my marine reef tank lights. I currently have a Fluval Aquasky strip that are suitable for marine fish tanks only. I have a few corals that have a brown tinge as the lights are not adequate enough to enhance/pop their colours. I have a hood so would be open to any suggestions of reef lights that would fit in a hood. I'm prepared to dismantle the hood leaving the pelmet for effect, and fit one or two clip ons. I realise that these are quite expensive. I've been seaeching on the Amazon website l. My budget is £200. I'd welcome any suggestions. See attached image of my tank. Thanks

20230806_183813.jpg
And where is the emergency?

Lots of lights on Amazon.
Which ones are you thinking?

Upvote 0

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't use the emergency tag for posts like this. There is absolutely no emergency here.

For 200£ you honestly can't get a lot. We also need to know the tank dimensions, as well as volume. Type of species you want to keep in the future is also good info.

Upvote 0

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you live in the UK, i'll give you the definition of an emergence from the Oxford dictionary:

"a sudden serious and dangerous event or situation which needs immediate action to deal with it"

Please don't use it for non-urgent matters like this! :)

As for the lights to chose, I am unsure of any decent lights in that price bracket - sorry! I'd maybe have a look at one AI Blade for that tank of yours :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaywat777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And where is the emergency?

Lots of lights on Amazon.
Which ones are you thinking?
There's no emergency. I've spent alot of money on some of the corals and for example the zoa (see image1) is beige in colour when it should be like image 2
Please don't use the emergency tag for posts like this. There is absolutely no emergency here.

For 200£ you honestly can't get a lot. We also need to know the tank dimensions, as well as volume. Type of species you want to keep in the future is also good info.

Upvote 0

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you live in the UK, i'll give you the definition of an emergence from the Oxford dictionary:

"a sudden serious and dangerous event or situation which needs immediate action to deal with it"

Please don't use it for non-urgent matters like this! :)

As for the lights to chose, I am unsure of any decent lights in that price bracket - sorry! I'd maybe have a look at one AI Blade for that tank of yours :)
Had he not lived in the UK, how would you go about providing the definition of "emergency"?

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank? It looks like a 15 gallon? I have an AI16 over my 15 gallon, but AI usually hangs about 8" from the water, a lot of lights hang at least 6" to 8" off the water, I don't know how much space is under your canopy.

Upvote 0

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had he not lived in the UK, how would you go about providing the definition of "emergency"?
Now, that's a smashing question! :) I reckon you will have your own in Dutch- my google refuses to find it for some reason! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaywat777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no emergency. I've spent alot of money on some of the corals and for example the zoa (see image1) is beige in colour when it should be like image 2
Thanks - There's no emergency. I've spent alot of money on some of the corals and for example the zoa (see image1) is beige in colour when it should be like image 2. As the pwr the image of my tank, it is 3ft x 12 x 15. I'm about to purchase a clip on, Nicrew LED Reef light from Amazon. I'm awaiting a response to my question as to whether one unit 100w would suffice. Where do I post non emergency posts in the future pls?

Attachments

• 20230810_115411.jpg
    20230810_115411.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - There's no emergency. I've spent alot of money on some of the corals and for example the zoa (see image1) is beige in colour when it should be like image 2. As the pwr the image of my tank, it is 3ft x 12 x 15. I'm about to purchase a clip on, Nicrew LED Reef light from Amazon. I'm awaiting a response to my question as to whether one unit 100w would suffice. Where do I post non emergency posts in the future pls?
Do not click the mergency tab. That's it. :)

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope it's not a 15 gallon... There's a hippo tang in there. Looks like maybe 60 us gallons (227 Liters)? Still too small for the hippo, but that's a different issue.
oh, I saw the anthias but not the tang. Those 4 rocks take up most of the tank lol
What size is the tank?

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, welcome! A #mod can help remove the emergency tag for you. I don't live in the U.K., but you are in the right place to begin your search. I think, as you suspect, you will need a light with the proper par and spectrum for coral. Good luck! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
gif_1690809774163.gif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaywat777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope it's not a 15 gallon... There's a hippo tang in there. Looks like maybe 60 us gallons (227 Liters)? Still too small for the hippo, but that's a different issue.
No it's a lot larger than a 15 gallon - The regal tang should be okay with 3 other fish, (2 clowns and a wreck fish(. I returned a scopus tang as it got too big. The regal tang its not a issue- Thanks for your concern though.

Upvote 0

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, thanks for the added info. So your system is 36" x 12" x 15"? That's roughly 28 US gallons... Please return the blue tang. That is WAY too small for that guy. I've never been a tang police member, but this is really not a recipe for success for that animal.

On to your actual question, I have no idea if that light will be sufficient. 100W is probably overkill for that tank depth, but it depends on how efficient those watts are.

If your budget constraints are lower, you may even consider a cheap T5 setup. They will definitely provide the spectrum your corals need, but are on their way out as a technology.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaywat777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha ha.I do live in the UK. I'm also an English Language/Literature tutor so know the definition of the word 'emergency' - As I said earlier, I didnt realise that I'd pressed the emergency tab. Btw., I'm female not male.

Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back