Lighting 525xl

devin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out what to do on a 525xl. Tank length is 59”. I’m going to continue to use aquatic life t5 with kessils, currently have the 24” over a 250. So my question is do I run 2 separate 24” fixtures with 3” space between fixtures or a single 48”? I feel the 61” would be far to big. More concerned about how they would look over the tank then I am anything else.

Thanks

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 48" Aquatic Life fixture over a Reefer 450, which is the same length as yours. I like it, visually it looks right to me and illumination is adequately uniform without any dark spots. I do keep the fixture fairly high off the water, though, 11", which makes the illumination more uniform. Two 24" fixtures would work unless you want to put one LED module right in the center. The 61" is longer than the tank, I'd be bumping into it constantly, and I suspect it would spill a lot more light onto the floor than I'd like.

Here's an old pic from shortly after I set up the light fixture:

RKP ReefWall.jpg

OP
OP
D

devin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. That does look visually better in the photo then it did in my head. Think a 48 will be the way to go.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little late responding but I have the 525XL and bought the 61” - 80 watt (4- 60” bulb) ATI Hybrid to used with 3 A360WE’s. It does overhang 1” on each end but I like that the T5 bulbs cover the full length. It is not obnoxious though. If I can get a picture later I will. I am running 2 ATI True Actinic (03) and two of the ATI blue plus (anything but blue as others have noted elsewhere but nice bulbs).

FWIW - at 7.5” above water to about 6” below water PAR 350 (Apex PMK) is all I get with everything set to high (spectrum and intensity) under the Kessils. I am good with that, too.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 48" Aquatic Life fixture over a Reefer 450, which is the same length as yours. I like it, visually it looks right to me and illumination is adequately uniform without any dark spots. I do keep the fixture fairly high off the water, though, 11", which makes the illumination more uniform. Two 24" fixtures would work unless you want to put one LED module right in the center. The 61" is longer than the tank, I'd be bumping into it constantly, and I suspect it would spill a lot more light onto the floor than I'd like.

Here's an old pic from shortly after I set up the light fixture:

RKP ReefWall.jpg

Amazing tank! Could i ask you what bulbs you would suggest for a 6 bulb light fixture?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back