Lighting\coral questions

propane4heatHRH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time posting. I’ve had this tank running for about a year. It’s a fluvial flex 15 gallon tank that I had originally planned to do fish only and have been doing that until my little cousin dumped a whole jar of food into my tank while I was away for The Weekend .. (he’s 5 years old.)anyway, that was a month ago and the only fish that survived was a tiney YWG. I have 3 snails, a Halloween hermit crab and 2 blue legs. (The dry rock has been in the tank for a month but behind that are some older pieces of LR that I had previously)

So now that I have a fresh start. I would like to do corals. My questions is, are my lights sufficient? I run a nicrew 50 watt LED and it’s connected to a timer that runs from 2pm-12am. (10 hours) I do not have control over ramp up or ramp down atm. (Lights are ran blue 40% and white 40% there’s some reds, greens and yellows in the mix) anything above 40% seems way to bright -please see the picture that is pinned with this post :)

My second question is, what are some easy corals that would do well and are not overly sensitive to my lighting. ( I’m considering zoas) also how many different types of coral could I fit into the tank? I do not want them battling for the limited space.

I would eventually like to add another fish since my YWG is only an inch and a quarter long atm and the tank seems devoid of life. (The YWG is a big hider and has his cave). I want to max fish out at 2 and my question is, what would be a good center piece fish that sims out in the open or is super active?

I’ve been doing a ton of research and it’s a lot to take in. I’m excited to hear what you guys think. I really appreciate the read and I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. Thank you!!!
image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is my first time posting. I’ve had this tank running for about a year. It’s a fluvial flex 15 gallon tank that I had originally planned to do fish only and have been doing that until my little cousin dumped a whole jar of food into my tank while I was away for The Weekend .. (he’s 5 years old.)anyway, that was a month ago and the only fish that survived was a tiney YWG. I have 3 snails, a Halloween hermit crab and 2 blue legs. (The dry rock has been in the tank for a month but behind that are some older pieces of LR that I had previously)

So now that I have a fresh start. I would like to do corals. My questions is, are my lights sufficient? I run a nicrew 50 watt LED and it’s connected to a timer that runs from 2pm-12am. (10 hours) I do not have control over ramp up or ramp down atm. (Lights are ran blue 40% and white 40% there’s some reds, greens and yellows in the mix) anything above 40% seems way to bright -please see the picture that is pinned with this post :)

My second question is, what are some easy corals that would do well and are not overly sensitive to my lighting. ( I’m considering zoas) also how many different types of coral could I fit into the tank? I do not want them battling for the limited space.

I would eventually like to add another fish since my YWG is only an inch and a quarter long atm and the tank seems devoid of life. (The YWG is a big hider and has his cave). I want to max fish out at 2 and my question is, what would be a good center piece fish that sims out in the open or is super active?

I’ve been doing a ton of research and it’s a lot to take in. I’m excited to hear what you guys think. I really appreciate the read and I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. Thank you!!!
image.jpg
The prime you have should work well
If you want to bump it up, you can go with the hydra series 26 or 32hd

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as stated by others, the soft corals (zoas, leathers, etc.) are a good place to start. As to a fish, I like the clown gobies. They stay small, so you may be able to get away with two, and they stay pretty active. Mine spend the day bouncing from coral to coral.
IMG_9636.jpeg

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef!
you light will be good for softies, LPS ( hammers, duncans, blastos, ect) and maybe some easy SPS when you are ready.
you have a great looking tank so far. Can't wait to see what you put in it.

Welcome!!!
f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
I dont know if you’re looking for something ”different” or not, but why not max out at 3 and get a couple of ocellaris or percula clowns? They stay relatively small, are colorful and out in the open usually most of the time.

OP
OP
P

propane4heatHRH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as stated by others, the soft corals (zoas, leathers, etc.) are a good place to start. As to a fish, I like the clown gobies. They stay small, so you may be able to get away with two, and they stay pretty active. Mine spend the day bouncing from coral to coral.
IMG_9636.jpeg
I am fond of those little guys. The only problem is that I'm unsure if my yellow watchman goby would get along since they look very similar.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back