Lighting for 9'x3'x18" Tall Mixed Reef

mfraembs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like my Reef Savvy tank is finally on the build table and am excited to finally get this build moving forward again!!!! My question is how much lighting do you think I should have on this tank. For this build I currently have 4 qty Radion XR30 Pro's (Red) that are planned to go over this tank. I also have 3 qty Red Sea 160s (green) that I can install. Would you install all 7 lights above this tank or just the Radion XR30 Pro's?

I have plans to set up a coral frag tank that ties into my main system and can use the 160's for this future build but am starting to think I may need all 7 lights for the large tank below. Would love some input on what you all think I should move forward with.

Thanks!

Reef Savvy Lighting.jpg

OP
OP
mfraembs

mfraembs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the coral plan??
My plan is for a mixed reef with probably a heavier load of LPS such as frog spawn, torches, favia, blastos, etc. Will have some softies and some of the more hardie SPS's if all goes well. It's a pretty shallow tank but has a big footprint and wanted to set up colonies of each in different parts of the tank.

This is an island tank with all 4 sides viewable. I am not sure how great the flow is going to be as this is my first closed loop tank and will have some trial and error working out the kinks regarding flow.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you will need all lights. If it were me I’d probably go 7 Radions and use the RS for the frag rank.
I’ve got an 8’ tank and have 7 Xr15s over it. Only 24” wide though.

OP
OP
mfraembs

mfraembs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you will need all lights. If it were me I’d probably go 7 Radions and use the RS for the frag rank.
I’ve got an 8’ tank and have 7 Xr15s over it. Only 24” wide though.
Yea you're probably right...... I was hoping not to have to spend another 3k in lighting! hahaha! I am taking this tank nice and slow and starting out with all frags. This will probably buy me some time before needing to replace those 160's with some new XR30's.....

Thanks for the advice!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep coral edge to edge, then you are going to need 2 rows of lights. Regardless of what LED manufacturers tell you, they do not spread that well and they do shadow. One row might be fine when stuff is small, but as it grows, the shadows will be a problem. Some of your rock work might even shadow stuff on the edges.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back