Lighting for display tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mark Allan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gal tank 60"x 18" x 12" deep and I want to know if Triton states a full spectrum light source what can I do for lighting with using the least amount of cash. Can I fill my cover with less expensive grow lights or leds? Or are expensive manufactured lights the only reasonable option looking at $700 for floval leds light strips which my local brick pet store cares.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you plan to keep as far as livestock? At just 12 inches deep, I think a 48", 6 (or maybe 8 if not too wide) bulb horticulture T5 fixture from Amazon with ATI or Geisemann bulbs would be sufficient. The fixtures are similar to the Sunblaze from BRS if you're in their shipping area.

Randy the reef guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black box LEDs are popular if your on a budget. I have a 60" tank with 4x viparspectra. You probably could do 3 with your dimensions. They are about 120 shipped off Amazon.

Randy the reef guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add a pic...
20181115_173514.jpeg

OP
OP
Mark Allan

Mark Allan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Sorry I made a mistake my Aquarium is 60" x 18" 24" deep not 12" My local pet store has these lighting and the owner is suggesting because of the 24" deep I might need 2 units of Fluval . http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/pr...ectrum-led-59w-48-60-122-153-cm/#.XCre6vZFyUk.
These would cost me around $635.00 plus tax Canadian. thanks for the suggesting Randy and S_OS I want to buy the right stuff the first time but also looking to not over spend. I am totally new to reefing and not sure what type of corals I want at this time.

Hermit Crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh please watch for cost per watt on lighting. Each of those Fluvals is only 59 watts, which is not very powerful. The various Chinese LED lights (often referred to as "Chinese black boxes") for sale on eBay and Amazon are usually 110 to 165 watts and cost less than a dollar per watt. And you can get the bluetooth versions for around $30 more.

At the price of those Fluvals at your local fish store, you could get some top shelf lights such as Ecotech, Aqua Illumination (AI), and Kessil.

Best of luck!

Also, since you are new to this wonderful(ly addictive) hobby, I would recommend starting off with easy corals. Duncans are colorful and lively, and so are corals from the euphyllia family such as hammers, torches, etc. These are also good neighbors with other corals and not too aggressive. Besides being very sensitive, some corals can extend stinging sweeper tentacles like translucent strings that reach severals inches and attack neighboring corals.

Paul 518

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ,i’m Looking for advice on l.e.d.’s too . I’m re-starting a 265g with a 50g sump . I used vho’s (6 48” bulbs) when I last had the tank set up roughly 6 years ago. I had lots of corraline growth with the combo I used . I’m interested in leds but not sure I’ll get the light penetration at the bottom of the tank . Any info would be appreciated since I’m clueless when it comes to leds

OP
OP
Mark Allan

Mark Allan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black box LEDs are popular if your on a budget. I have a 60" tank with 4x viparspectra. You probably could do 3 with your dimensions. They are about 120 shipped off Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074PL12FM/?coliid=I18B8YCSNLMPRP&colid=1XPOML73QFY8W&psc=0 Maybe a 300 wat version then a 165 Wat in the future big tank but thinking of testing the hobby keeping the corals to one side then expanding in the future. Does that sound like a good way to start?

Randy the reef guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul 518

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really looking for brightness at depth , controllable though so I can mimick solar /lunar cycle . I used to have the whole thing on a timer (full on at once and completely off at once ) I’d like to be as natural as possible this time . From what I’ve read the controllable units are big bucks . I’ve had success with a few stony corals and I’d probably do the same . I’m really into the fish tho and would like more of a fish population with a few corals . Cost is somewhat of an issue , I’dlike to keep it under 800

OP
OP
Mark Allan

Mark Allan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know a titled the thread as lighting but I like to get your guys thoughts on everything. I am Canadian living near Wiarton, Ontario and I normally buy stuff through amazon.ca so I do not have to deal with customs and dollar conversions. My local pet store is extremely limited in what they have to offer so this is going to be my main method of purchasing.
Dosing pump https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014KKCILE...olid=1XPOML73QFY8W&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
return pumps thinking of getting 2 ? https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LHDBI9U/?coliid=I3OGY6IASHFW0W&colid=1XPOML73QFY8W&psc=0
But think I research a dc that I can turn down the flow and like it to be silent as well.

So if this stuff is garbage I appreciate knowing thankyou.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back