Lighting for nano tanks

CFicken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started my first nano. I put a kessil A80 on it and did a par reading. It’s pretty depressing lol. What is everyone running on their nanos???

I’ve got a nuvo 20 concept abyss peninsula.

Thanks

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have two Primes on my Nuvo 20 mixed reef. Par wise I wouldn't know since I never had the time to rent a par meter. I do know that it was enough to grow a clam. It really depends on what you'll be using it for and your budget. What corals are you planning on keeping? I always go a overboard with equipment general. One you can't increase an equipment that's maxed out and two for longevity. Also keep in mind that single puck style lights have a tendency to shadow depending on rockwork. Also you look like you're new so welcome to R2R and enjoy your reef tank.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run LEDs and t5s on my IM 20 and 14.
I like the t5s more than the LEDs because it’s just so darn easy, but the LED I was happiest with was a reefbreeders photon v2.
The V2 had much better color, shimmer and the fixture was a lot sleeker.
I’ve also tried the coral box moon LED. I’m not sure if I don’t like the light, or if it doesn’t like me. But I wish I had tried something else.

OP
OP
CFicken

CFicken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have two Primes on my Nuvo 20 mixed reef. Par wise I wouldn't know since I never had the time to rent a par meter. I do know that it was enough to grow a clam. It really depends on what you'll be using it for and your budget. What corals are you planning on keeping? I always go a overboard with equipment general. One you can't increase an equipment that's maxed out and two for longevity. Also keep in mind that single puck style lights have a tendency to shadow depending on rockwork. Also you look like you're new so welcome to R2R and enjoy your reef tank.

Well my husband is talking a Radion I thought maybe that was over kill. I think I’m wanting a mixed reef. They are so beautiful! I know I’m not getting shadows I measured straight under the light at the highest point and only got 100 par with max intensity.

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my husband is talking a Radion I thought maybe that was over kill. I think I’m wanting a mixed reef. They are so beautiful! I know I’m not getting shadows I measured straight under the light at the highest point and only got 100 par with max intensity.
That's really low. You can get away with soft corals and a handful of LPS with your current light. The radion is overkill but, I have read some threads that are having great success with them. On the bright side of Radions, you can use on a bigger tank when you upgrade.

OP
OP
CFicken

CFicken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really low. You can get away with soft corals and a handful of LPS with your current light. The radion is overkill but, I have read some threads that are having great success with them. On the bright side of Radions, you can use on a bigger tank when you upgrade.

No upgrading for me... I’m actually downgrading. We have a 130 water box currently.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at adding a small AIO nano and am currently looking at the following lights: Radion XR30, Kessil A360x, Noopsyche, and Aqamai LRM. All seem to be good solid controllable units. Really going to come down to aesthetics and which one I think will look the nicest over the tank.

I’ve run several LEDs and reef lighting throughout my time. I think most modern LEDs are capable of sustaining the photosynthetic needs of our corals. Often times it just comes down to personal preferences.

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two used AI hydra 26 hds that I got a good deal on. I'm thinking of renting a par meter to take some readings as I'm curious to see what they are putting out.

Tank is a IM nuvo 30L aio.
b18316e1f9dab6486861099fbf7d0501.jpg
585cabf536018345c4f14f3e21670fc1.jpg

OP
OP
CFicken

CFicken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and bought an ai prime. Seems pretty good, I’m getting around 260 par reading at the very top of my rocks and around 90 on the sand bed. I tried setting it pretty similar to what’s on our big tank but the boss will have to get the kinks works out. That’s his job [emoji23]

SeaTheDifference

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple questions. 2 kessil 80's on a Spec. X controller. Heavy mixed reef BioCube 29. What is your ramp up duration and your peak durations. The preset doesn't seem to be enough for me.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally two led's are better than one, Kessils 160 and 360 are being sold on the cheap, two AI Prime HD's would be nice, I have one over a IM Lagoon 25 so yeah I need another one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back