Lighting for nem only tank

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am in the process of getting my first tank up and running. I have a 20gal AIO cube and plan to do a BTA/ Clown fish only tank. I wanted to get the Radion XR15...... well cuz shiny, haha. I'm wondering is this wayyyyy over kill (slightly over kill is ok-ish, if I can turn it down, but like will it cook the nems completely)? and if so, does anyone have a better suggestion for BTA only tank. I would love something that I can program so I can set and forget it. A better price tag would also be awesome. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's overkill. My nems are right under my kessil 360 at 95%. Also keep in mind to allow the tank to mature for months before adding an anemone. When you do, find one from a local reefer as your first try. You'll have better chances at success.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kittypowpow

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think it's overkill. My nems are right under my kessil 360 at 95%. Also keep in mind to allow the tank to mature for months before adding an anemone. When you do, find one from a local reefer as your first try. You'll have better chances at success.
So the kessil 360 was my #2 option mostly because I can’t find a single bad thing about kessil’s. Do you prefer them over radions? I appreciate the info on cycling. I plan on 3-4 months (depending on a water test) think that’s enough, or should I let it go longer?

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the kessil 360 was my #2 option mostly because I can’t find a single bad thing about kessil’s. Do you prefer them over radions? I appreciate the info on cycling. I plan on 3-4 months (depending on a water test) think that’s enough, or should I let it go longer?
A Kessil would also be a great choice (especially if you like the color/shimmer).

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a radion. I would wait at least 6 months

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way to aid in getting to a nem tank quicker is to use real live rock from KP or similar. You do not need the premo rock, just the basic rock will work great.

This will allow you to have a nem sooner, but you need to be diligent with testing to make sure things are stable and to learn the tank. That will be the biggest hurdle, as stability is key for nems. Once you know what the tank likes to sit at, how much evap it has and how it processes nutrient, you can come up with a maintenance schedule that you follow. This will lead to success.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kittypowpow

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One way to aid in getting to a nem tank quicker is to use real live rock from KP or similar. You do not need the premo rock, just the basic rock will work great.

This will allow you to have a nem sooner, but you need to be diligent with testing to make sure things are stable and to learn the tank. That will be the biggest hurdle, as stability is key for nems. Once you know what the tank likes to sit at, how much evap it has and how it processes nutrient, you can come up with a maintenance schedule that you follow. This will lead to success.
I have some love rock in the back of the AIO. Ill probably just be patient. I would hate to spend the money some of these nems cost just to kill it from less than perfect parameters.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof I’m really going to have to put on my patience pants for this one
Alternative is to use established live rock. I'd recommend gulfliverock.com or one of their competitors. With these I would only guess a month or 2 would be required. More for you to get a handle on parameters than anything.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kittypowpow

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alternative is to use established live rock. I'd recommend gulfliverock.com or one of their competitors. With these I would only guess a month or 2 would be required. More for you to get a handle on parameters than anything.
I have a couple small pieces of live rock in the back part of the tank. I think I’ll be patient tho. I would hate to spend big money on one just to kill it because I was impatient and didn’t have a hold on keeping perfect parameters.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple small pieces of live rock in the back part of the tank. I think I’ll be patient tho. I would hate to spend big money on one just to kill it because I was impatient and didn’t have a hold on keeping perfect parameters.
Effects won't be the same when mixing in a small amount of rock. The majority of your tank will still be maturing. Patience is key. I rushed things and failed at 4 months, and again at 6. Tried again at 9 months and they lived, but didn't thrive until even later on. Now that my tank is established they are very hardy. I barely ever test and been months since last water change. 2 have turned into 7 with the largest being about 13" across

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kittypowpow

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Effects won't be the same when mixing in a small amount of rock. The majority of your tank will still be maturing. Patience is key. I rushed things and failed at 4 months, and again at 6. Tried again at 9 months and they lived, but didn't thrive until even later on. Now that my tank is established they are very hardy. I barely ever test and been months since last water change. 2 have turned into 7 with the largest being about 13" across
Holy moly! I hope I’m as successful as you. You’ve convinced me to just wait. That’s so awesome you have one that big!!

Upvote 0

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s legit my biggest fear! Do you use sponge ones or the ones that are 3d printed like a power head cage?
I opted for the invisible nem guard cage... and it did not work . I would recommend a thin piece of plastic mesh, very small squares, and zip tie it around your pouwer heads.

My most beaituful RBTA lasted only 12 hours, and I still at times find myself wiping a little tear away because of it... :(

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly! I hope I’m as successful as you. You’ve convinced me to just wait. That’s so awesome you have one that big!!
Nem island

Attachments

• 16600789103252006163282720207691.jpg
    16600789103252006163282720207691.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Kittypowpow

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I opted for the invisible nem guard cage... and it did not work . I would recommend a thin piece of plastic mesh, very small squares, and zip tie it around your pouwer heads.

My most beaituful RBTA lasted only 12 hours, and I still at times find myself wiping a little tear away because of it... :(
Oh no! I’m so sorry. Your loss won’t be in vain because I’m going to going to nem guard the crap out of these dang power heads after reading that!

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back