Lighting for Reefer 250

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading from a 20 gallon nuvo to RSR 250. I currently have 2 brand new prime 16hds, running at 20 watts peak. I plan to keep some easy SPS in the tank, and predominately LPS. Wondering if I can get away with one more prime. Also I noticed the fan kicks on quiet loud even at 20 watts. If I got to crank each one to increase par in the 250, I worry the fans will be super loud on all the time. I guess I could upgrade to two hydra 32s but bought these lights like a month ago.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the fans get louder as you increase the power now? It shouldn't be different over a different tank?

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the fans get louder as you increase the power now? It shouldn't be different over a different tank?

Yeah the fans start to rev up as I increase the power. I wonder if the difference could be that I have auto fan shutdown enabled, so it heats up and then cools vs old version where it was always on, so no bursts of fan power.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I suspect when they run fast the make more noise.

I have Reef Breeder Photons and the fans rarely ever run even though I run the power quite high. And when they do start, I can only hear them if the rest of the house is dead quiet. If the A/C is on or the refrigerator is running, I can't hear the fans.

uli-the-nihlist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think you will probably be able to get away with that. I run a Kessil A360x with narrow reflector (for my acros) in between two A80s and I have no problem growing montis, seriatopora, and euphyllia under them. The Primes are even a bit stronger than A80s so I don't expect you to have issues if you get 3 .

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure 3 16hds will be fine although you might have to crank them up a little bit.

Fan noise is louder then the older prime HD’s as I understand it. I run two 16hds one at 70% and the other at 90% over my nuvo20 and fans mostly always on but if I’m doing anything in the house I don’t hear them so it doesn’t bother me. Gives me peace of mind when I walk in the door to hear the fans because let’s more know they are working lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back