Lighting question (Timer vs. Illumination)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering is there any benefit to run non-dimmable lights using the illumination feature vs the timer feature? Both seem to get the ssme result, just didn't know if there's any secondary effects or benefits to run them with the illumination feature?

Another question... Is anyone using the dimmable outlet on the 5.1 powerbar to actually dim anything? Is there a list of known equipment that would work with this feature? Seems like most controllable lights/pumps use 0-10v or another method of "dimming". Just wondering if anyone has an example of what they are using the dimmable outlet for.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question:)

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are differences between the ILLUMINATION and TIMER features, even for non-dimmable lighting.

ILLUMINATION channels
  • Temperature dependent light reduction: This feature gives you the flexibility to control your lights based on the readings of your temperature probe. It serves as a safety measure to prevent your tank temperature from continuously rising on warmer days. For example, if your tank temperature goes above 83°F, you can use the Temperature dependent light reduction feature to automatically turn off anything assigned to an illumination channel.
  • Option to add more time-points: Timer functions are capped at 8 time-points. You can create more than 8 time-points when you use the Illumination channels.
  • Operation hour meter: Keeps track of how many hours your lights have run for. Good for knowing when it's time to change bulbs; T5 and MH users.
  • Copy illumination run: Option to copy identical schedule of another Illumination channel.
  • More efficient way of organizing functions: Lights are assigned to Illumination channels and all other ON/OFF timers are assigned to timer functions.

The TIMER functions do not offer any of the above.

OP
OP
WWIII

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are differences between the ILLUMINATION and TIMER features, even for non-dimmable lighting.

ILLUMINATION channels
  • Temperature dependent light reduction: This feature gives you the flexibility to control your lights based on the readings of your temperature probe. It serves as a safety measure to prevent your tank temperature from continuously rising on warmer days. For example, if your tank temperature goes above 83°F, you can use the Temperature dependent light reduction feature to automatically turn off anything assigned to an illumination channel.
  • Option to add more time-points: Timer functions are capped at 8 time-points. You can create more than 8 time-points when you use the Illumination channels.
  • Operation hour meter: Keeps track of how many hours your lights have run for. Good for knowing when it's time to change bulbs; T5 and MH users.
  • Copy illumination run: Option to copy identical schedule of another Illumination channel.
  • More efficient way of organizing functions: Lights are assigned to Illumination channels and all other ON/OFF timers are assigned to timer functions.

The TIMER functions do not offer any of the above.

Excellent! Thank you @Vinny@GHLUSA ! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back