Lighting question

Pickpockettuxedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to reef2reef so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.
I am considering consolidating my two salt water tanks into one larger tank. I have an AI Prime 16 on my 15 gallon and a Hydra 26 on my 25. If I go with a 35 gallon tank would those two lights combined be sufficient for my corals and fish?

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may end up with some different coloration and maybe even different par levels on 1 sixe vs the other. May want to consider investing in 1 nicer light for example, then selling your 2 lights privately to recoup some cost. Just me 2 sense mate!

Upvote 0

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People mix lights all the time. Sometimes as a strategy and sometimes out of necessity. I don’t see a problem with it other than possibly seeing the difference in spectrum when looking at the tank. But since both are AI products that’s a plus for hopefully getting them close.
I think the biggest thing is knowing the coverage each light is capable of. Worst case you end up with one end of the tank better for lower light corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pickpockettuxedo

Pickpockettuxedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People mix lights all the time. Sometimes as a strategy and sometimes out of necessity. I don’t see a problem with it other than possibly seeing the difference in spectrum when looking at the tank. But since both are AI products that’s a plus for hopefully getting them close.
I think the biggest thing is knowing the coverage each light is capable of. Worst case you end up with one end of the tank better for lower light corals.
It's definitely a necessity thing at the moment. I'm hoping that since they are both AI that I can get them very close on settings. This way I can use them until I can afford a proper light for the size of the tank.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the 26 in the middle. Look for a used 16 and put one on each side of the 26 and you should be fine, imo

My old 36×24×12 frag system running 3 16 hds. I eventualy went to 4.
They grow coral very well, imo.
Also my 30g running just 2 16's.
20220403_161808.jpg
20230709_093302.jpg

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back