Lighting Questions

Kaiden Kneeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4ft 90g that I set up a little over a month to 2 months ago and I am looking for light to get for it as I want to have a few softies, a couple easy sps like birdsnest and pocillopora, and mostly lps but I don't want to spend $1000+ on lights so I was looking at some used lights and was wondering if it would still be a good idea to buy 2 XR15 G4 Pros with arms and diffusers for $500. If not I also saw a ReefLED 90 for $200. Both are rated a 9/10 in condition. If none of these are good then I was wanting to get 2 ReefLED 90s.
Thank you,

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have it figured out on the pricing. Either light will work if that’s what you need help with. Give a quick YouTube search on how will each make your tank look

OP
OP
K

Kaiden Kneeland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have it figured out on the pricing. Either light will work if that’s what you need help with. Give a quick YouTube search on how will each make your tank look
Not trying to be rude or anything but I am not necessarily trying to see if either work because I have done a lot of research on lighting and know both grow corals well but I have never been able to find weather or not it would be a good idea to by a gen 4 in 2023 or if I should just get something else. I only have this question because I know how LEDs work and at around their half life they start to diminish in strength. So in summary is gen 4 too old.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandable why not go with the new G6? For 1 light brand new. It’s about 525$. I’m sure it’ll give you the spread you need. And you can always add AI blades to it later down the line they are 150$-185$ each
I only suggest the G6 because you can update the LED board as new radions are released for a small price of 125$

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back