Lighting Recommendation for my 90 gall

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, I’m back in the hobby after 5+ years out and I am piecing together my 90 gallon build. Just wondering what is recommended for lighting these days. I used metal halides briefly before switching to T5’s on my previous tanks. My tank will be mixed reef so looking for something that can cover a wider range. I also decided against a canopy so at this point my tank with be open top with either a screen or glass cover to prevent jumpers. Appreciate any recommendations!

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck running a t5 LED hybrid set-up. I would go with a screen top over glass, lets the tank breath better and the lights will be more efficient.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget? #drool

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you prefer lights with mounting arms or hanging kits?
I figured mounting arms would be the best so I went with two AI Prime HDs. I have read a lot of good things and like that there are a lot of options to add on and modify such as T5 units that have places to attach or simply increasing the amount of units.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil 360X or Reef Brite Lumi-Lite Pros or XHO's. The Kessil will give you performance like you had with Halides (Im a old school reefer too!) and adjust from 10K to 20K at the twist of a knob. A second know will allow you to control the intensity of the light. The Reef Brites will give you performance on par with T5HO's but give you about 15% more par and use less power to do it and the "pop" on your corals has to be seen to be believed! If you go with Reef Brites get the optional intensity adjustment switch thats like 10 bucks each so you can throttle back your LED light strips to one of 6 intensity settings. Its well worth the extra few bucks!

FWIW...I am getting ready to do a 90 SPS Dominate tank and I will be going with 4 XHO's in Actinic and one XHO in 50/50 on the 5 strip mounting bracket with dimmer switches. Kessils were a very close second on my list of lights!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured mounting arms would be the best so I went with two AI Prime HDs. I have read a lot of good things and like that there are a lot of options to add on and modify such as T5 units that have places to attach or simply increasing the amount of units.

You will want 2 more or a t5 or reef brite add on for anything more than softies.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget? #drool
Not that high lol ! Wow

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I already purchased the two prime units under the assumption I could add on as I progressed into more complicated coral. What do you guys think would be the best add on when I get to that point keeping in mind I have that center brace running down the center of my tank?

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran aquatic life with single AI pucks before regrettably getting XR-15s. If I had them cranked I could grow Acro directly under the puck area. My fixture had plenty of room to lower though. You could run single pucks and lower your fixture a couple inches. You would be fine. Rent a par meter and when you upgrade get hydras. Out.

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you’re reefing on some what of a budget like i am you could do a similar build to mine if you are handy with tools and building. 2 black boxes - $200 the hardware for the fixture was under $70 i added some supplemental lights that i had extra just for some angle lights. grows everything from leathers to acros. black boxes are only at 60% power.
AC35B59C-CD47-45F7-B6E5-84B27F6DEBCA.jpeg
77DAEE7C-0286-4B83-8BDF-2F00FAEE87B7.jpeg

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the reef brite add on work? My worry on larger units is my 90 gallon has a center brace. Thanks all for all the I input!
Just like they did in post #14 although there are some fixtures that will allow you to add them on. Go to BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) click on lighting, go to LED, scroll down to Reef Brite and they have a few adapter systems you can use that might be the hot ticket for your application.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back