Lighting recommendations for 265 gallon mixed reef

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be purchasing a marineland 265 gallon 84" x 24" x 30" soon. I have straight LEDs on my smaller tank with a retrofit DIY kit from Rapidled.com. Once the tank is in I plan on leaving it in darkness for 3 months running (so no rush on buying lights). I am learning that a T5 LED combo is the new thing. Can you all recommend some options? I've looked at the possibly the aquatic life T5 fixture that has 4 T5s and mounting brackets for LEDs like Kessil A360, AI Prime/26/52 and the Ecotech XR30/XR15.

I've heard the Kessil A360 die just past the 2 year warranty on many occasions..
I've heard of the AI units going out and customer service always claiming water damage...
The Ecotech would be my choice but I'd probably need 4 to cover the 84", thats a heck of a lot of money.
Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a mixed reef BTW with sps at the top, LPS in the middle and some softies and zoas at the bottom

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30” tall?

LED T5 hybrid is cost effective and effective lighting. Hard to go wrong, but you do have to put a bit of thought into it. You have 84” length, so you can’t do two sets of 4ft bulbs. So you will be using two sets of 36” bulbs, not a big deal but slightly less than full coverage.

The Aquatic Life fixtures are great if you don’t have a canopy for the T5 setup. With 4 3ft AL T5 fixtures with two LED fixtures installed would be my solution. I did DIY LEDs, but I would probably do Kessil A360X if I didn’t DIY. But they are the same price as XR15s, which is what I would recommend in place of the Kessils.

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30” tall?

LED T5 hybrid is cost effective and effective lighting. Hard to go wrong, but you do have to put a bit of thought into it. You have 84” length, so you can’t do two sets of 4ft bulbs. So you will be using two sets of 36” bulbs, not a big deal but slightly less than full coverage.

The Aquatic Life fixtures are great if you don’t have a canopy for the T5 setup. With 4 3ft AL T5 fixtures with two LED fixtures installed would be my solution. I did DIY LEDs, but I would probably do Kessil A360X if I didn’t DIY. But they are the same price as XR15s, which is what I would recommend in place of the Kessils.

Yes 30" tall. I am currently planning on building the stand and canopy so I can make it to the required specifications I need. The Aquatic life fixture doesnt fit into a canopy? If not I can always just get two 36" retrofit kits, LET has some nice ones. Thanks for the advice

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to have the Hybrid, then just get some nicer black boxes and let the T5s do the heavy lifting. SB Reef, ReefBreeders, etc. Didoes are nearly all the same and you are just paying for features that you want.

While there are some failures with Kessil, I would not consider them badly built or any worse than the others that you just mentioned. AI has a lot of ticked off people since they promised to be able to upgrade for life, but then quit this when merged with EcoTech. All of them want to sell you new units rather than help you fix one that is out of warranty... just the price of doing business with one of the Big-3. I would not consider any of them any less reliable than another.

Reflectors are your friend in larger tanks. MH and T5s cover better and can be more cost effective both to run and buy, depending on what you are running - you can need 2x as many panels as recommended for a acropora tank with clams, but 1 per 2x2 area is probably fine for softies, LPS and Montipora. If this were me, I would use 4x 150w or 175w MH and a pair of T5s for a medium light tank, and 4x 250w for a high light tank. You will have better coverage with reflectors, but less apps and settings.

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to have the Hybrid, then just get some nicer black boxes and let the T5s do the heavy lifting. SB Reef, ReefBreeders, etc. Didoes are nearly all the same and you are just paying for features that you want.

While there are some failures with Kessil, I would not consider them badly built or any worse than the others that you just mentioned. AI has a lot of ****** off people since they promised to be able to upgrade for life, but then quit this when merged with EcoTech. All of them want to sell you new units rather than help you fix one that is out of warranty... just the price of doing business with one of the Big-3. I would not consider any of them any less reliable than another.

Reflectors are your friend in larger tanks. MH and T5s cover better and can be more cost effective both to run and buy, depending on what you are running - you can need 2x as many panels as recommended for a acropora tank with clams, but 1 per 2x2 area is probably fine for softies, LPS and Montipora. If this were me, I would use 4x 150w or 175w MH and a pair of T5s for a medium light tank, and 4x 250w for a high light tank. You will have better coverage with reflectors, but less apps and settings.

I've never been a fan of MH, the heat they produce would require me to get a chiller and I dont need one in my other tank. I'm planning on 2 sets of 4x36" T5s so 2 sets of 4 on each half of the tank with a particular type of LED in the middle, like 2 on each end.

It's been about 10 years since I've used T5s, so I have forgotton a lot about them. Do you think with those 8 T5s (4 on each side) and any run of the mill "black box" that I would get sufficient light to grow anything? This will not be an acropora heavy tank, sure there will be some but a lot of other SPS for sure.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 30" tall. I am currently planning on building the stand and canopy so I can make it to the required specifications I need. The Aquatic life fixture doesnt fit into a canopy? If not I can always just get two 36" retrofit kits, LET has some nice ones. Thanks for the advice
Yes, the Aquatic Life fixtures will be fine in a canopy. It's just more expensive than buying the retro kits, but not by that much.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been a fan of MH, the heat they produce would require me to get a chiller and I dont need one in my other tank. I'm planning on 2 sets of 4x36" T5s so 2 sets of 4 on each half of the tank with a particular type of LED in the middle, like 2 on each end.

It's been about 10 years since I've used T5s, so I have forgotton a lot about them. Do you think with those 8 T5s (4 on each side) and any run of the mill "black box" that I would get sufficient light to grow anything? This will not be an acropora heavy tank, sure there will be some but a lot of other SPS for sure.
For sure 8 T5s and some black boxes would have enough power to grow most anything, probably even at the bottom of the tank. I have some black boxes (SBReef) that I like just fine, but if you like MH, then the Kessils are the way to go. I don't think they will be prone to failure, the new model has better cooling, which should help with longevity anyhow.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's good that you have a lot of time to make a final decision!

There is a very interesting study being conducted by @Manose and, so far, the results are a bit surprising. You may want to look into it and follow along as more and more of the results come it. I am sure it will be concluded long before you're ready to make any purchases.

Here is the link...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-real-black-box-light-study.503052/

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you had to choose between Kessil, Ecotech or AI which one would you choose? Those are the only ones that fit it? Keep in mind I want to grow coral but I'm trying to cut cost wherever I can or my wife is going to kill me in my sleep

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black boxes put out as much light, or more, than the ones that you listed. There are differences like pucks vs panels where pucks have better blending of light, but more shadows (even with T5s) and the panels have some disco ball, but better coverage. There are not really any good apps for the black boxes, but this is a good thing since jacking with them will make your corals mad. Black box vs High end is more about the reefer than the reef, IMO.

If you are looking at Black Boxes, then just know that they are changing all the time... names, diodes, etc. Some of the better ones with US support will stay pretty constant. Details matter on these, so dig in and pay attention and do not assume that a Mars 300w (which is the model number, not the wattage) and a Galaxy 300w are the same thing... they are not.

If it were me, I would use none of those three and get a ReefBreeders Photon V2 in the 36" width or a pair of Orphek Atlantik V4s if you can afford them.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you had to choose between Kessil, Ecotech or AI which one would you choose? Those are the only ones that fit it? Keep in mind I want to grow coral but I'm trying to cut cost wherever I can or my wife is going to kill me in my sleep

If those were the only ones to choose between, I would go with the Ecotech. However, I wouldn't go with any of those if it were my build. I agree with what @jda said above about BBs. The combo of the ReefBreeders and Orphek is a good one too. But, once again, please check out the BB study thread. You're going to be surpised!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put most any LED as long as they fit in between the T5s. Any listed above this post will work fine.

I don’t like the panel lights because I don’t like the disco ball spectrum blending issue. Otherwise I think they are fantastic, including black boxes like SB, and particularly the orphek.

I did some small LED pucks that get put into a single reflector with a diffuser to blend spectrum so they perform much like a Kessil. If you are willing to diy, a number of LED pucks would be least costly and have great coverage and blending.

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good that you have a lot of time to make a final decision!

There is a very interesting study being conducted by @Manose and, so far, the results are a bit surprising. You may want to look into it and follow along as more and more of the results come it. I am sure it will be concluded long before you're ready to make any purchases.

Here is the link...

Wow I hadnt considered that but looks like people are having great success. Looking at 2 of these over the 7 ft with 8 T5s, 2 in front and back on both sides

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PL12FM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B074PL12FM

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I hadnt considered that but looks like people are having great success. Looking at 2 of these over the 7 ft with 8 T5s, 2 in front and back on both sides

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PL12FM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B074PL12FM

The Viparspectra are going to be tested in the study being conducted. As it stands, right now, I would go with the Noopsyche K7 light. However, it's a bit premature to make a determination. I am sure the final results will be interesting, thought provoking and very helpful to many. BTW - I realize the BB study thread is long but it's worth the entire read. Especially given the idea you can pretty much "scan" most of the posts and read the "meat and potatoes" ones.

I hope this all helps you in your quest!

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Viparspectra are going to be tested in the study being conducted. As it stands, right now, I would go with the Noopsyche K7 light. However, it's a bit premature to make a determination. I am sure the final results will be interesting, thought provoking and very helpful to many. BTW - I realize the BB study thread is long but it's worth the entire read. Especially given the idea you can pretty much "scan" most of the posts and read the "meat and potatoes" ones.

Im on page 14 of 26 right now, its very interesting. Honestly from the brands listed in the beginning I looked at them and the Viparspectra looks amazing! That would be my first choice right now, seems like a lot of reefers are using it with great results and you cant beat that price! I was thinking 2x 300 watt 30.5 inch for my 7 ft long 265. And as I said also the T5s. If it fails in a few years no biggie they have a 3 year warranty, past that it's only $200! Way better than most of the big boy brands! Do you happen to know if I can use any controller with these, or which ones, I feel that'd be easier since I'll be using two seperate units

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or maybe 4 of the 165w 16 inch Viparspectra would give a more even spacing for about the same price

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on page 14 of 26 right now, its very interesting. Honestly from the brands listed in the beginning I looked at them and the Viparspectra looks amazing! That would be my first choice right now, seems like a lot of reefers are using it with great results and you cant beat that price! I was thinking 2x 300 watt 30.5 inch for my 7 ft long 265. And as I said also the T5s. If it fails in a few years no biggie they have a 3 year warranty, past that it's only $200! Way better than most of the big boy brands! Do you happen to know if I can use any controller with these, or which ones, I feel that'd be easier since I'll be using two seperate units

I cannot speak to using any specific controllers with the Viparspectra. However, I do know that the Noopsyche K7 comes with various methods for control and you can also "gang" 16 lights together on the same controller.
That being said, have you given any thought to whether or not you'll be implementing any type of system control? If you are thinking of it, I would recommend you check out the main page for reef pi in the DIY section of R2R. As a matter of fact, there may already be someone who is controlling the Viparspectra with reef pi. I do know someone who is controlling his OR 247's with reef pi. Let me know if you'd like more info.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you!

OP
OP
CoreyWakefield123

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't gotten that far ahead. The common systems like Neptune are like $800 so that's out of the question for now. Im thinking either the viparspectra or SB led system with just basic timers to set the moon and day lights.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back