Lighting schedule for softies and lps

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my first saltwater tank and have a kessil 360x looking for a schedule any suggestions?

20210328_151518.jpg 20210328_151506.jpg

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running and cycled? I run my tank lights 10 hours a day but i have a few sps corals. You could start out with 8 hours and maybe see how that does. Its kind of a balance between how much your corals need and how much you want to look at your tank, without causing too much algae growth from too long a lighting cycle. You have to start out easy with leds they are strong and can burn corals and bleach them.

OP
OP
paulrathor92

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running and cycled? I run my tank lights 10 hours a day but i have a few sps corals. You could start out with 8 hours and maybe see how that does. Its kind of a balance between how much your corals need and how much you want to look at your tank, without causing too much algae growth from too long a lighting cycle. You have to start out easy with leds they are strong and can burn corals and bleach them.
Tanks been cycling for 19 days. It's going to be a softie and lps tank. What's the max intensity should I have for me peak and how long should the peak be ?

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tanks only been cycling for 19 days i hope you don't already have corals in the tank. You don't need lights on at all unless you have corals in there. What are your water parameters are you testing? Take your time its a slow process. Once the diatom and algae phase hits you dont want to be running your light too long it will just make it worse. First thing is get tank cycled then think about a clean up crew ...snails, crabs to keep your algae from getting control until your tank matures. You will have to play around with your kessil light i dont have that particular one. I would start out low and work your way up based on coral placement and best guess and how the corals looks and responds or get or borrow a par meter. Its different for all tanks. Use more blue and less white intensity at first and you will get it right

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is that tank sorry forgot to ask? All i can tell you from my experience is dont keep running your light while cycling your tank. Now if you already bought coral well then...i guess you have no choice

OP
OP
paulrathor92

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no there's no corals in there and I'm never running the lights at all just did to take the picture. Plus the tank sits in a really dark room!
Ph 7.8
Ammonia .1ppm
No2 5.0 ppm
No3 80 ppm
I'm just trying to get all my settings dialed in before getting any live stock. J

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my little tank...i have the kessil a80 for nanos

OP
OP
paulrathor92

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so awesome I can't wait till I have some corrals and a couple fish. Always wanted a salt tank just never had the resources and patience but now I see what all the hype was about. seams like you can never keep up with the hobby with all the cool topics and opinions!! And I love to learn. Mines a 24g by the way.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is fun setting one up and adding all the cool fish and corals. Just read all you can and ask questions if you have any. So many here to help out with most anything. Thats a nice size tank, your going to be loving that once you get it going.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back