Lighting suggestion

Lostreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for lighting advice for my new waterbox 230.5 (60x30x24). I like the kessil shimmer but feel it can be a little overpowering. Hoping to soften the shimmer a little with diffusers and fill light. Tank will be a mixed tank but might eventually lean toward SPS dominant. Lights will be mounted in a floating hood approximately 10”-12” above tank. The tank is located close to a large screen TV and projection screen so I need to have the ability to dim the tank lights on occasion.
Im currently thinking of running 2 Kessil A500x with 55 degree diffuser and 2 48” actinic blue reefbrite. I could move the floating hood higher which would help with tank maintenance and do the 30 degree lens with orphek bars. However, from what I have read the Orphek bars are not dimmable.
Just looking to see if the lights would be sufficient or any other ideas/suggestions.
Thanks!

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for lighting advice for my new waterbox 230.5 (60x30x24). I like the kessil shimmer but feel it can be a little overpowering. Hoping to soften the shimmer a little with diffusers and fill light. Tank will be a mixed tank but might eventually lean toward SPS dominant. Lights will be mounted in a floating hood approximately 10”-12” above tank. The tank is located close to a large screen TV and projection screen so I need to have the ability to dim the tank lights on occasion.
Im currently thinking of running 2 Kessil A500x with 55 degree diffuser and 2 48” actinic blue reefbrite. I could move the floating hood higher which would help with tank maintenance and do the 30 degree lens with orphek bars. However, from what I have read the Orphek bars are not dimmable.
Just looking to see if the lights would be sufficient or any other ideas/suggestions.
Thanks!
If you want to get a fill light, I suggest LED's with 2 or 3 bars of T5. If you want to go into SPS, maybe get a stronger light and just dim it for now, and when you get SPS, increase the intenstity.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you choose, don't dim the lights. Get a shroud to put on to block the light. The corals are living and breathing organisms that don't need their food source disrupted because Marvel put out a new movie. I have a tank in a theatre room with a projector too, so I know what you are going through and if you just make a shroud to cover the front and 2 sides from light spill, the screen will still look good. IMO, these things need 100% and we, as keepers, just need to adapt to them even when there are some good shows to watch.

I don't have many opinions of LED, but I would light a larger tank like that with reflectors which cover better and use less power when done right - 60 inch T5s or a pair of MH. If somebody made me run LEDs, it would be Photon V2s since therman has some of the best looking acropora that I have ever seen under LEDs - find one of his threads and check them out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back