Lighting suggestions for new build

jpil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
Currently getting our new tank cycled and looking for suggestions on how to light it.
Size is 36x18x24

The inside of the canopy is 8” off of the water so space is somewhat limited.
The plan for the tank is pretty much a mixed reef situation, sticks up top and meaty stuff on the bottom half. Wife insists a anemone, but I am resisting... lol

My first thought was T5 retros, as I am familiar with them and had great success in the past with a mixed reef setup with 6 39w bulbs, but the tank was 4-5” shallower. Also in consideration is a couple OR3 bars with a 2 bulb t5 retro thrown in (because I have one stashed away). Or possibly a couple led fixtures that would do me right?

Open to suggestions, but the Mrs would be pleased if we can stay under $500

4269C8FA-88AF-44DF-A4EF-EA4FE034313E.jpeg D8352110-5498-4438-8D35-495AE13103DB.jpeg

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 blue plus and 1 reef day OR3's will work. They are equal to 6T5's.
I love T5's but will now only use the Orpheks in place of the T5.
Me too. I love my or3 blue plus. Build quality is excellent and light is fantastic. Can't wait to get my Reef day light fixture

OP
OP
jpil

jpil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Kessil A160 and your T5 together will grow anything.
Will the Kessils have enough spread to get the whole tank if they’re mounted in the canopy? That a very valid option if so

OP
OP
jpil

jpil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 blue plus and 1 reef day OR3's will work. They are equal to 6T5's.
I love T5's but will now only use the Orpheks in place of the T5.

I honestly haven’t looked into the OR3’s that much, only considering them because the love they get on here. Are they controllable at all, or just on/off like the t5’s?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try 1 or3 led strip during cycle with the t5 retrofit you already have, then either could add more t5s or leds later on depending the combo you like. Leds definitely add more pop than t5s can. Kessils and other brands are great but can easily set one over budget fast, even while lighting a 3 foot area

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest your t5 in the back and an orphek or3 all the way in the front, angled down at 45 degrees. Later add a kessil or red sea led in the center for shimmer and sunrise sunset effects.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the Kessils have enough spread to get the whole tank if they’re mounted in the canopy? That a very valid option if so

i believe they will. I had 2 a160s on a 54 gallon corner tank. They were spread about 10 inches apart and 6 inches off the water.

so 2 a160s and the t5s will grow everything very well. I am not sure how to mount them though. The power cable sticks vertically from the top.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 fairly equiv. (in all but price) set ups.
One needs to decide on what factors you need/want and getting all new.
Both are the simplest approaches based on canopy and geometry.
Roughly 230 watts for a 67 gallon tank.
You hood kind of hurts mounting most light bars at a "desired" height and a Kessil if not protruding will sit fairly low to the water and w/ it''s narrow beam be a "possible" issue unless you want an island effect.
also if you want control the Kessil control is an add on.
Below is PURELY for discussion NOT a recommendation.
aihybrid.JPG

t5retro.JPG

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
If I was limited by a shallow canopy I'd get a fixture that has more spread at a lower height. T5s or led bars like orphek. I'm sure if you get creative you could definitely use the kessils and they do look amazing too. The reason I like orphek is value for money. You get good coverage and great par. You could also use reefbrite. They're very powerful and have great coverage. Orphek claims a blue plus bar will give about 250 par about 15 inches below. So if your lights are 8 above the water and your sps are 7 inches below that, then two orphek bars will definitely grow sps. I think going the kessil route you may need an extra fixture to get wide enough coverage. And they're also customizable as well.

Take an ai prime for example. Here in Canada with an arm they're almost $400. I can buy two orphek bars for the same price and have more light . They aren't customizable but then that's sometimes a plus. Like t5 they're plug and play so your corals never have to adjust over and over to new spectrums.

You could also do a t5 led hybrid

OP
OP
jpil

jpil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

If I was limited by a shallow canopy I'd get a fixture that has more spread at a lower height. T5s or led bars like orphek. I'm sure if you get creative you could definitely use the kessils and they do look amazing too. The reason I like orphek is value for money. You get good coverage and great par. You could also use reefbrite. They're very powerful and have great coverage. Orphek claims a blue plus bar will give about 250 par about 15 inches below. So if your lights are 8 above the water and your sps are 7 inches below that, then two orphek bars will definitely grow sps. I think going the kessil route you may need an extra fixture to get wide enough coverage. And they're also customizable as well.

Take an ai prime for example. Here in Canada with an arm they're almost $400. I can buy two orphek bars for the same price and have more light . They aren't customizable but then that's sometimes a plus. Like t5 they're plug and play so your corals never have to adjust over and over to new spectrums.

You could also do a t5 led hybrid
The t5/led hybrid is where I am leaning I think. I have experience with T5 in the past, and grew anything I wanted, but as everyone says, the LED pop isn’t there with just T5’s. I already bought a couple temperature controlled computer fans that I am going use and to put holes in the canopy to get some air moving.

There is a really good possibility that I will end up with 4 39w t5’s and 2 led bars, just to make sure I can cook anything I put in there... ‍♂️ Lol

I have also dabbled with the idea of going on a limb and picking up 2 of the Noopsyche lights and a controller, people seem to have good reviews of them, and pair them with the retro t5’s I have...... decisions decisions

Oh the woman and the canopy she “needs to make it look complete” lol.

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it basically boils down to what you think will look good. All lights are great. All the main brand lights will grow coral if you use them correctly. I think you're right about the t5 led hybrid. You'll get that clean crisp/sharpness color from the LEDs and the gentle illumination from the t5s. Honestly I loved the look of a 6500 t5 tube for my sps and having the LEDs give that nice blue mix. If I had a bigger tank I would do a 2 bulb t5 with two or3 bars. My 20 long is limited in space
IMG_20210205_155345.jpg
This is one or3 blue plus with one AI prime on a 20 long. AI mounted in the centre

OP
OP
jpil

jpil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it basically boils down to what you think will look good. All lights are great. All the main brand lights will grow coral if you use them correctly. I think you're right about the t5 led hybrid. You'll get that clean crisp/sharpness color from the LEDs and the gentle illumination from the t5s. Honestly I loved the look of a 6500 t5 tube for my sps and having the LEDs give that nice blue mix. If I had a bigger tank I would do a 2 bulb t5 with two or3 bars. My 20 long is limited in space
IMG_20210205_155345.jpg
This is one or3 blue plus with one AI prime on a 20 long. AI mounted in the centre
This was the tank that I had 6 icecap driven t5’s over back in 2010. I don’t remember the bulb combo but it grew anything, anywhere in the tank. I miss that tank, but I sold it to finance some other stuff, and the local custom tank builder that did it for me passed away. I loved to color it had, but it really would have looked amazing with a blue LED strip mixed in.

Attachments

• 459BCB00-1EE4-42F5-A466-2AC6442565BB.jpeg
    459BCB00-1EE4-42F5-A466-2AC6442565BB.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 32

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the tank that I had 6 icecap driven t5’s over back in 2010. I don’t remember the bulb combo but it grew anything, anywhere in the tank. I miss that tank, but I sold it to finance some other stuff, and the local custom tank builder that did it for me passed away. I loved to color it had, but it really would have looked amazing with a blue LED strip mixed in.
Tank looks nice!

I'm also considering what to do. I did originally have a grow light t5 ho. It was definitely a nice light and had nice color. But it's kinda too much in washed out color if you know what I mean with t5?
Right now I have one or3 blue plus and one ai prime mounted around 22 inches above my sand. So far my montis are growing as well as my anemone. So I know there's enough light. But I'm still undecided if I wanna go with another or3 Reef day strip or get two t5s to replace the prime since it's foot print is roughly only 18 inches and my tank is 30 inches long. The or3 definitely has enough blue and enough power. I was thinking on getting two sunblaster t5s with their mounting hanger. I could mount all 3 lights to it. But I'm also super enjoying my or3 and from what I see online with the reef day, it looks fantastic. With the two or3 bars I'm gonna likely get around a solid 250 par where my nem and sps are and an amazing spectrum. And no bulb replacement either

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to this, I would also recommend the Orphek OR3 bars. You could start with a couple of them and a fixing kit. Then you can add more OR3 bars as you go! Otherwise the Atlantik Compact would work as well.

Here is a link to some options / info, as well as some good pricesi

Just to add to this, I would also recommend the Orphek OR3 bars. You could start with a couple of them and a fixing kit. Then you can add more OR3 bars as you go! Otherwise the Atlantik Compact would work as well.

Here is a link to some options / info, as well as some good prices.
I really enjoy my or3. Great spectrum and so easy to use like t5. Just set your height and turn it on. My corals are more than happy

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back