Lighting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

steveohish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 55 gallon tank and 2 a360w I was wondering if maybe that’s a little overkill I’m having some problem with algae in there it is a newer tank but I can’t seem to get the lightning where it should be

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 55 gallon tank and 2 a360w I was wondering if maybe that’s a little overkill I’m having some problem with algae in there it is a newer tank but I can’t seem to get the lightning where it should be

For a mixed reef, I see two of the 360's as a viable option. You may notice some shadowing towards the edges, but you can compensate by playing around with how high the lights are mounted from the water's surface. If you really wanted to get the lights dialed in, you could also pick up or rent a par meter to fine tune things. We typically shoot for 250 par +/- 100 par.

As far as the algae goes, I would try to do a test for nitrates and phosphates just to get an idea of where you're currently at. I like to not only look at the actual numbers, but also at the trend over time. Nitrates and phosphates on the rise means that the current nutrient export methods aren't keeping up. If they are on the decline or steady, that usually means that we're on the right track. Manual removal of algae and water changes are the best way to keep on top of the algae in the meantime.

OP
OP
S

steveohish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my nitrates are a little high and my phosphates are good I will do a water change and see we’re I’m at

Back