Lightning recommendations for the $200-$400 range

JoeG370Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to the community and live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I've been a saltwater enthusiast since 2012 and just got back into the hobby because i bought my first home and have a place to set up my tank now. Currently, I have a 75 gallon marineland tank from Petsmart with the basic marineland set up and a fluval fx4 filter. Id love to upgrade to a lighting system that has sunrise/ sunset mode with bluetooth. If you have any recommendations I would appreciate it! Dimensions are 48"L x 21"H x 18.4"W

Also I'm a noob when it comes to lighting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Two Orphek light bars or two used Ai hydra 26 units

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI 26 and 52 HD’s models are NOT Bluetooth. They only use WiFi. The newer prime 16, 32 and 64 models are Bluetooth only

OP
OP
J

JoeG370Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your on the coast go check out just fish they'll get you straight. Canister filters can work but aren't ideal in a saltwater tank.

The fluval sea marine ramps up the colors then down creating a "sunrise and sunset" effect.
Yessir those are my people haha. Gerwin and Roger are very helpful. I have heard the fluval lights arent ideal for growing coral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoeG370Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if I can use one AI hydra 64 in place of two AI hydra 32's?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-32s will provide better spread and more power, but will cost more than a single 64. Probably doesn’t matter unless you plan on keeping acroporas.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to the community and live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I've been a saltwater enthusiast since 2012 and just got back into the hobby because i bought my first home and have a place to set up my tank now. Currently, I have a 75 gallon marineland tank from Petsmart with the basic marineland set up and a fluval fx4 filter. Id love to upgrade to a lighting system that has sunrise/ sunset mode with bluetooth. If you have any recommendations I would appreciate it! Dimensions are 48"L x 21"H x 18.4"W

Also I'm a noob when it comes to lighting.
If you can get 2, 48"-60" Fluval marine 54 W LED's would be good, 7 light channels and Bluetooth, easy to use.

Welcome to R2R and welcome fellow 75 gallon Marineland and FX4 user.

Mood Feel You GIF by doña batata

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the ai hydra suggestion. They are really a great performing light. You get an (arguably) just as good interface as the Radion Xr15 (which is out of your budget for this size tank, as you'd need 2). Alternatively, you could get two cheap black boxes - marsaqua, etc. Though, the level of controllability can't be compared to the larger brands. You could also go with t5s (higher upkeep cost, better blanketing of light). If you only plan on keeping lps and softies, your options open up, but for acros and SPS you may need to spend slightly more.

OP
OP
J

JoeG370Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the ai hydra suggestion. They are really a great performing light. You get an (arguably) just as good interface as the Radion Xr15 (which is out of your budget for this size tank, as you'd need 2). Alternatively, you could get two cheap black boxes - marsaqua, etc. Though, the level of controllability can't be compared to the larger brands. You could also go with t5s (higher upkeep cost, better blanketing of light). If you only plan on keeping lps and softies, your options open up, but for acros and SPS you may need to spend slightly more.
I'm now contemplating spending $500-600 now to get something a lot nicer that can help me grow coral and give me all of the features that I desire lol. Seems like most people buy Ai hydra

OP
OP
J

JoeG370Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get 2, 48"-60" Fluval marine 54 W LED's would be good, 7 light channels and Bluetooth, easy to use.

Welcome to R2R and welcome fellow 75 gallon Marineland and FX4 user.

Mood Feel You GIF by doña batata
I will look into those as well! Do they help much with coral growth? Also thanks for the welcome lol and please send pics of your set up

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back