Lights for 55g with upgrade in future.

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired a 40 breeder with 2 AI Primes for a steal of a price. I plan on using this for a bigger QT than my 20 long QT.

I'm choosing to only run softies in my current 55g.

Dimensions are 48" L x 21" H x 12" W

When our home is finished remodeled there will be a 125g 6' Long standard tank that I will be transfering all fish and coral too.

My biggest question is will the AI Prime HD 16 be worth the investment because I will be upgrading the tank, or should I just use the AI Primes in my QT and then have to double purchase lights for my 55g, and then 125g.

My current aquascape is only 10" at it's highest points from bottom.

I'm looking for lighting that can transfer from a 55g to 125g.

Also want to have the capability generate sunrise to sundown, including adjusting the light spectrum as needed. Im not opposed to buying 2 additional lights now, and more in the future.

Example 1 side of tank requires stronger light than other side for future expanding to other coral types.

I'd prefer a light with a phone application, and LEDs, but not opposed to venturing to better ideas.

Thank you

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats in the QT tank? If its just fish then no need for light. If not then it needs the 16's.
Because the 55 is shorter than 6' you will need to get more than 1 light for the 6'tank. I would look at a fixture that has what you want and will work for the 55 then when needed buy another for the 6' tank

OP
OP
J

JTremonte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to quarantine all my coral incase I get a bad hitch hiker with them. So i know I will need at least 1 light on it. I can focus it with the light depending on PAR needs. Also getting a par meter in the near future.

What I think my plan was to use 1 for QT. And then buy 2 for my 55 gallon. Eventually I will buy 3 more to transfer to the 6' tank.

My biggest worry was depth with them. I planned on roughly 8" above my tank, which would mean from light to my current highest point would be roughly 20 inches, to lowers being 29 inches. This does not include the sand bed, however still something I am thinking about.

Is the AI Prime suitable for that depth? Both 125g and 55g are 21" depth

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back