Lights for a 55 gallon

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been like reading so much and I think I suck at this when it comes to understanding about lighting. I googled T5 and its showing me the same lights I have in my tank right now? , but they look LED to me? What Im looking for its the lights that can turn on by itself and do the sunset and sunrise and also have the blue light? This tank doesn’t have it. Im probably not making any sense right? Lol everyone its giving me so many good ideas.
I would strongly recommend going t5 for budget. my first reef tank was lit by 4 t5 lamps and it worked great. A simple 48in 4 bulb Hamilton or wave point t5 light will grow any coral you want and be under $500 brand new. you won't get dimming ability but you will be able to grow a beautiful healthy reef aquarium affordably without headaches.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'm tracking with you. If you're wanting the sunrise/sunset (ramp up/ramp down) features, then you'll need to go with LED's, and you'll need to be sure the ones your buying have that function. Most LED's now do have it, but you'll need to be sure that any of them that you buy have some way to set that up. For example, I know black boxes & Mars Aqua were mentioned, but to my knowledge, neither of those have that function.
Look this is what I was looking at. Never heard of that name but they seem good? Lol

AB412A90-FFAF-4138-93E2-133DC8F845B2.png 4A8CB63A-763A-4449-BAB7-0C2D742879E9.png

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, I have heard the marsaqua black boxes will do the trick (BRS agrees), but they aren't UL approved. So, technically there is a fire risk, but those reports are few and far between from what I've gathered.

I think they come with hanging kits though... So, you'd have to figure out a way to hang them or buy a canopy.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look this is what I was looking at. Never heard of that name but they seem good? Lol

AB412A90-FFAF-4138-93E2-133DC8F845B2.png 4A8CB63A-763A-4449-BAB7-0C2D742879E9.png
Interesting. I've never seen those. I am a little skeptical because I haven't seen these before.

I tell ya, the ones I'd look at right away if you haven't yet are the Noopsyche K7 Pro II fixtures. Those seem to be really nice, VERY budget-friendly, and they have great reviews on here so far. They are a sponsor here and seem like great people to work with too.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, I have heard the marsaqua black boxes will do the trick (BRS agrees), but they aren't UL approved. So, technically there is a fire risk, but those reports are few and far between from what I've gathered.

I think they come with hanging kits though... So, you'd have to figure out a way to hang them or buy a canopy.
Oh boy, I heard about that! I definitely don’t want a fire in my house. Im guessing none of those lights are UL approved. Smh

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, I heard about that! I definitely don’t want a fire in my house. Im guessing none of those lights are UL approved. Smh
I don't think that's true. There are plenty of lights on the market that are UL approved....

Personally if I was going to make a switch and didn't want to spend a lot, I'd go with the Mars. A ton of people grow awesome reefs with them...

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh no! Im scratching them out of my list lol.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has been said, but you can get a couple of AI Prime HDs for super cheap now days, in that size tank you could keep anything you really wanted.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this has been said, but you can get a couple of AI Prime HDs for super cheap now days, in that size tank you could keep anything you really wanted.
Thank you! I actually just ordered the Orbit Marine IC PRO Dual LED System! It has everything I wanted. Lets see how it goes lol.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nonono DO NOT SAY IT!!
Don’t sweat it. You’ll be fine with those. Too often people are driven to make recommendations from their own budget and point of view which doesn’t always line up with the person requesting advice. Based on your tank, where you’re at in the hobby, and your goals, those lights will do perfectly fine for quite a while.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t sweat it. You’ll be fine with those. Too often people are driven to make recommendations from their own budget and point of view which doesn’t always line up with the person requesting advice. Based on your tank, where you’re at in the hobby, and your goals, those lights will do perfectly fine for quite a while.
Aw thank you!! I hope so because I really liked everything that I read about it and reviews.

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running those light on my 13.5 gallon Evo the 16 inch version they work great. I love these lights I would have got them for my next tank but I want high light sps. I picked up a used but really nice reefbreeders light. The orbit lights did really well for me glad you picked something budget friendly that will and has grown coral well for me. Good job getting the pro. I got just the ic version and it’s was perfect for my tank but my tank is only 12 inches deep yours is quite a bit deeper. I run mine at 28 percent white and 100% blues during peak hours and 12 percent white and 100% blue during sunset and sun rise. Never did test sps in this tank tho I’m pretty sure the light would do it. Good luck to you and happy reefing.... ps...post some pics when u get the light

Nano10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 freshwater tank that I've decided to turn into a reef eventually.

I'll likely just go with some black boxes. Theres no reason lighting a tank should cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

I've seen to many awesome tanks lit by black boxes to justify the ridiculous prices of name brand reef lighting.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I​
I’m running those light on my 13.5 gallon Evo the 16 inch version they work great. I love these lights I would have got them for my next tank but I want high light sps. I picked up a used but really nice reefbreeders light. The orbit lights did really well for me glad you picked something budget friendly that will and has grown coral well for me. Good job getting the pro. I got just the ic version and it’s was perfect for my tank but my tank is only 12 inches deep yours is quite a bit deeper. I run mine at 28 percent white and 100% blues during peak hours and 12 percent white and 100% blue during sunset and sun rise. Never did test sps in this tank tho I’m pretty sure the light would do it. Good luck to you and happy reefing.... ps...post some pics when u get the light
yes!! Thank you! I will post them :) I cannot wait to get them!

TN_Huskymama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a lot about Current USA orbit, good reviews, but it does seems like it’s not the best for corals. I don’t have corals, but I want to have everything ready for when I get them lol :)
I went to the Current website last night and found some advice for how to mimic 6500k and 10/14k lighting by adjusting the intensity and colors on my light. My coral color popped last night for the first time ever! I am going to give it another month or so and see if the growth rate increases at all. It may just be I didn’t have the light spectrum just right before.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the Current website last night and found some advice for how to mimic 6500k and 10/14k lighting by adjusting the intensity and colors on my light. My coral color popped last night for the first time ever! I am going to give it another month or so and see if the growth rate increases at all. It may just be I didn’t have the light spectrum just right before.
Yes maybe you had to play with the lights and see. I ordered the current orbit marine ic pro!! I can’t wait to get it. So exciting haha

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back