Lights Out or Moonlight

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an old solarmax something or other t5 fixture when I got the tank and had been using that and the bulbs that were in it, no idea how old those were so the blue light or moon light or actinic or whatever that color is classified as. A couple wks ago i replaced the bulbs. Well that blue moon light deal is sooooooo bright, way brighter than the old, and seems even brighter than the day bulb. I continued to use the blue light at night as i did before for about a wk or so. I noticed the foxface and the tang especially just seems very skittish to any movement in front of the tank, which of course the others detect causing everyone to scatter.
so I decided to try lights out a little over a wk ago. first thing i noticed was the tang seemed to have a brown streak show up on its side, which i noticed originally when i got it and when i do WCs. The foxface just seems like a jittery fish, i could be wrong, I dont know if its just my tank or what, bc it doesnt seem that way at the LFS, and this is the 2nd one Ive had, anyway I also noticed the clowns I have seem to be resting more when I come to the tank in the AM to feed, the 2 cardinals dont seem to be affected.
-anyone else notice something similar regarding foxface's demeanor? And does that brown stripe appearing on the side of a yellow tang indicate stress? Why would a tang be stressed at night? it is the dominate fish in the tank, and there is these two or 3 LEDs on the fixture when the main bulbs are off that give just a little bit of light in the tank so its not completely black in there.
But the corals all seem to have a positive reaction to this change, albeit in the short amount of time since I started this. The hammer is the most affected, that thing has absolutely blown up. It opens so wide its great I love it. I also noticed these light brown, almost white spots appearing on the back glass, not sure what that is and if its purely coincidental to the lighting change.
This light is temporary so we shall see when the new lighting arrives how the tank will respond

FLETTSTA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the royal blue spectrum at %1 on my Hydra 26 HD's via the AI app.:)

Royal blues seem too bright. 1% illuminates 3 LED’s per puck. I was thinking of keeping 1% violet on the lunar option but not sure. How’s it working out for you?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal blues seem too bright. 1% illuminates 3 LED’s per puck. I was thinking of keeping 1% violet on the lunar option but not sure. How’s it working out for you?
It has been working well. You can try the violet instead of the blue and let us know what you think and how your system preforms. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back