Lihgting project for next year...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.. just wanted to get your input on a lighting upgrade I'm doing next year... I don't think the 250w MH SE by itself is cutting it coz I'm still having the retarted long stolon affliction for my zoas/palys... most of them if I move them up, they go back to normal.. the thing that I don't understand is my tank's dimensions are 24"L x 18"W x 18"H and the MH is about 8-10" off the water surface... do you guys think it's too high that's why I'm having the long stolons..

here's what I plan on doing... I really want to have a 250w MH DE (14k Phoenix) pendant w/ (2) 24" HO T5 retros for actinics... another option would be to have 4-6 24" HO T5 retros, whatever I can fit..

creetin's been nice enough to give me feedback on what I wanted to do but more insight won't hurt.. right?? what do you guys think? should that help with my long stolon problem? I really hate seeing this with my zoas/palys.. :(

Thank you all in advance...

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of ballast were you running with the SE bulb. And was it mounted perpendicular or parallel to your tank? That makes a difference in intensity. I am a fan of the DE bulbs because they pack a punch and their is more choices. I would run 250W DE pendant with 2 bulbs of T5 pure actinic. On my girlfriends tank she has a tank I buil that is 24" x 18" x 22" with 6 bulbs of T5 retro kit from Sunlight Supply and it melted some zoas away even the ones on the sand bed. IMO halide makes for a nice show tank because you have the glitter effect. From what I see and experienced in growth the Halides win. This is with Phoneix bulbs vs. T5 setup with 6 bulbs (2 pure actinic, 2 aquablue +. 2 actinic +) Gieseman Bulb. Hope I helped you a little.

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin,

I currently run the 250W DE Phoenix w/2 T5 HO retros at home on my 30G SPS tank. The Phoenix is housed in a SLS Reef Optix III pendant driven by an IcaCap electronic ballast. IMO, the ROIII is probably the best pendant out there for the footprint that we need for our size tanks. I know there is a new Lumenmax pendant out for DE bulbs that's supposed to be really awesome but it covers more of a 2'x2' area, not really giving you room to install additional T5 supplements.

For my T5 HO bulbs, I run a Blue+ in the back and an Aquablue in the front. I have tried 2 Blue+ and also combinations of Super Actinics but the tank just looks too blue, even for zoas. The Phoenix itself is pretty blue to begin with. The reason I put the Blue+ in the back is b/c the light doesn't have to travel that far down the tank due to the rockwork. The Aquablue, which is more of a "white" bulb, goes in the front, where more light is needed on the sandbed.

I would suggest getting the Phoenix first to see how you like it before deciding on using additional actinics. If you really want to use the actinics to bring out the "bling", then perhaps a lower Kelvin MH bulb would work better, like maybe a 10K or a 14K from another brand. The Phoenix is more on the scale of 20K. HTH.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin,

I have a 250w DE Reef Optix III 14k Phoenix setup for sale. I sent you a PM to look over the details.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey marv, can ya send me a link to the t-5 at diy wou were looking at?
Sounds good so far. I would go with a super actinic UVL and a 10k bulb for t-5's and a 14k bulv ya wanted.

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as a 250 watt SE, I am running 2 of them in regular spider reflectors over a tank 48" x 24" x 12"H. A 14K and a 20K. The bulbs are about 12" off the water. No extension from mine. Really, thats about what youre running now. They are on at different times, so half the tank is lit at a time. I've always run SE bulbs or T-5s.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of ballast were you running with the SE bulb. And was it mounted perpendicular or parallel to your tank? That makes a difference in intensity. I am a fan of the DE bulbs because they pack a punch and their is more choices. I would run 250W DE pendant with 2 bulbs of T5 pure actinic. On my girlfriends tank she has a tank I buil that is 24" x 18" x 22" with 6 bulbs of T5 retro kit from Sunlight Supply and it melted some zoas away even the ones on the sand bed. IMO halide makes for a nice show tank because you have the glitter effect. From what I see and experienced in growth the Halides win. This is with Phoneix bulbs vs. T5 setup with 6 bulbs (2 pure actinic, 2 aquablue +. 2 actinic +) Gieseman Bulb. Hope I helped you a little.

magnetic ballast... mounted parallel to the tank...

I plan on the 250w DE pendant and the retro fit above... :)

me and ficklefins worked something out for the 250w DE Reef Optix III 14k Phoenix setup..

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin,

I currently run the 250W DE Phoenix w/2 T5 HO retros at home on my 30G SPS tank. The Phoenix is housed in a SLS Reef Optix III pendant driven by an IcaCap electronic ballast. IMO, the ROIII is probably the best pendant out there for the footprint that we need for our size tanks. I know there is a new Lumenmax pendant out for DE bulbs that's supposed to be really awesome but it covers more of a 2'x2' area, not really giving you room to install additional T5 supplements.

For my T5 HO bulbs, I run a Blue+ in the back and an Aquablue in the front. I have tried 2 Blue+ and also combinations of Super Actinics but the tank just looks too blue, even for zoas. The Phoenix itself is pretty blue to begin with. The reason I put the Blue+ in the back is b/c the light doesn't have to travel that far down the tank due to the rockwork. The Aquablue, which is more of a "white" bulb, goes in the front, where more light is needed on the sandbed.

I would suggest getting the Phoenix first to see how you like it before deciding on using additional actinics. If you really want to use the actinics to bring out the "bling", then perhaps a lower Kelvin MH bulb would work better, like maybe a 10K or a 14K from another brand. The Phoenix is more on the scale of 20K. HTH.

Kenny.. I really like your SPS set up... I've heard so much about the 14k Phoenix and have seen them in action so it'll be definitely my choice of DE bulb..

Thanks again for everybody that responded..

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the life of the phoenix bulbs are short, About 6-8 mos before the color starts changing.
Good bulb though for the price. I am a xm 20k fan on a mag 400 watt ballast, But the de's are good too. Too small coverage area for me.
That setup looks good marv, But are they just for color, or do ya want some drive with the t-5's? If you want more par overdriving them with icecap ballasts would kick it.
I would go for as many t-5's as you could, If i couls have 6 ft t-5's i would have stayed with them and overdriven them.
The ATI fixtures are very nice!!!

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the life of the phoenix bulbs are short, About 6-8 mos before the color starts changing.
Good bulb though for the price. I am a xm 20k fan on a mag 400 watt ballast, But the de's are good too. Too small coverage area for me.
That setup looks good marv, But are they just for color, or do ya want some drive with the t-5's? If you want more par overdriving them with icecap ballasts would kick it.
I would go for as many t-5's as you could, If i couls have 6 ft t-5's i would have stayed with them and overdriven them.
The ATI fixtures are very nice!!!

i run the xm20k on 400w mag's also, i really like the color and growth, but i want to change out the vho actinics to t5's.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some info on Marvin's new light setup:

Reef Optix 3 Plus HQI Reflector (250W)
EVC Tech 250 watt Electronic Ballast
250W 14000K+ Metal Halide Bulb (Double-ended) (Phoenix)

I hope USPS doesn't abuse it too much. Marvin, if there any problems with anything just let me know.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some info on Marvin's new light setup:

Reef Optix 3 Plus HQI Reflector (250W)
EVC Tech 250 watt Electronic Ballast
250W 14000K+ Metal Halide Bulb (Double-ended) (Phoenix)

I hope USPS doesn't abuse it too much. Marvin, if there any problems with anything just let me know.

cool.. thanks..

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usps scares me, I try to stay away from them. They dont even cosider a package lost for 30 days. fed ex is usually a little cheaper anyways for ground.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back