Lineatus wrasse experience

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a beautiful lineatus wrasse, one of my dream fish, fully quarantined and had the highest hopes. Sadly, he arrived with a small injury (I assume happened in shipping) but was doing well for a few days. Not eating a ton, but was eating and active, a little skinny. The spot grew and turned into a bacterial infection and in 5 days, he was dead. Seller has been great and has offered to send another or give me store credit.

Now I’m stuck. I’m not sure what the success rate with this fish is. I have a very peaceful tank, no one bullied him or anything, I slowly acclimated to the tanks temp and salinity. I feed 3-4x per day. But clearly these are fragile fish, I know many wrasses are. But I just wanted to get some thoughts, experiences, success rates, etc to help me determine how to proceed. Thanks in advance. Very sad to lose him.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure get a replacement! One of my favorite fish. The one I had was a big until I lost him to a power outage when I was out of town.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wraases, like butterfly fish are prone to mouth damage during shipping. If untreated it can lead to an infection.

My suggestion would be to put it throught your own QT when you recieve your 2nd. This QT would only use antibiotics instead of stuff like copper or prazi pro.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a beautiful lineatus wrasse, one of my dream fish, fully quarantined and had the highest hopes. Sadly, he arrived with a small injury (I assume happened in shipping) but was doing well for a few days. Not eating a ton, but was eating and active, a little skinny. The spot grew and turned into a bacterial infection and in 5 days, he was dead. Seller has been great and has offered to send another or give me store credit.

Now I’m stuck. I’m not sure what the success rate with this fish is. I have a very peaceful tank, no one bullied him or anything, I slowly acclimated to the tanks temp and salinity. I feed 3-4x per day. But clearly these are fragile fish, I know many wrasses are. But I just wanted to get some thoughts, experiences, success rates, etc to help me determine how to proceed. Thanks in advance. Very sad to lose him.
Cirrhilabrus wrasses generally are not picky eaters so based on him arriving “skinny” sounds like he had something wrong with him prior to shipping. Don’t let what happened deter you from getting another Lineatus ;)

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a lineatus, but had many Cirrhilabrus over the past 20 years. Bullying is by far the biggest issue, although several can coexist in a large tank. I've had several mysterious disappearances, but only with fish in my system for years. I don't think I've ever seen one I'd call skinny, these fish always look healthy. I'd go ahead, except maybe be wary of your seller - they might send you another Doomed-On-Arrival depending on the quality they are getting in.

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! Definitely not going to comment negatively on the seller- they are highly regarded here and elsewhere and have a great QT procedure. I did end up ordering another male - fingers crossed this time around. I hope he arrives a little fatter. I love these fish and these comments give me hope I just got one that wasn’t particularly healthy to begin with.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just bad luck with an injured sick fish. Definitely try another. Mine came fat and healthy from LA of all places. He is a great fish to watch when he is in the main display. Mine likes to spend week vacations in the overflow box. He is there again tonight staring at me and wondering when I'm going to rip out the durso to get him back in the display.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back