OP
Happylionfish

Happylionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do their nests look like and what kind of care do the parents provide?
From what i can tell once eggs laid the parants have nothing to do with .eggs in a jelly sack that dissolves after 24 hours and eggs float free.last lots of eggs not been fertilised.even though female laying batch every 4 days or so.starting to think male has his own cycle when it comes to fertilisation.only witnesed him doing mating dance.(as i call it) twice .

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i can tell once eggs laid the parants have nothing to do with .eggs in a jelly sack that dissolves after 24 hours and eggs float free.last lots of eggs not been fertilised.even though female laying batch every 4 days or so.starting to think male has his own cycle when it comes to fertilisation.only witnesed him doing mating dance.(as i call it) twice .
How are you deciding they are not fertile versus dying due to bacterial infiltration?

What are you feeding the mating pair?

I know with my angels they danced and she released eggs for about 8 months before they became fertile even though they were big enough.

General wisdom was they needed better nutrition from being in a captive state. The male I got from my LFS where he hadn't eaten for at least a week. The owner gave him to me because he knows I keep lots of different foods around. I got the girl a few weeks later. I provide all the things an angel could want. Copepods, algae, sponges and frozen mysid which even though they are a 3 inch fish they spend all day picking at copepods, algae and sponges. So I was surprised that the eggs were infertile for 8 months because that is the best nutrition you can get.

I'm still not convinced the 8 months was nutrition but it's something to consider if you are trying to get fertile eggs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Happylionfish

Happylionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you deciding they are not fertile versus dying due to bacterial infiltration?

What are you feeding the mating pair?

I know with my angels they danced and she released eggs for about 8 months before they became fertile even though they were big enough.

General wisdom was they needed better nutrition from being in a captive state. The male I got from my LFS where he hadn't eaten for at least a week. The owner gave him to me because he knows I keep lots of different foods around. I got the girl a few weeks later. I provide all the things an angel could want. Copepods, algae, sponges and frozen mysid which even though they are a 3 inch fish they spend all day picking at copepods, algae and sponges. So I was surprised that the eggs were infertile for 8 months because that is the best nutrition you can get.

I'm still not convinced the 8 months was nutrition but it's something to consider if you are trying to get fertile eggs.

OP
OP
Happylionfish

Happylionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stock the tank with glass shrimp and small bait fish.the mating pair of lionfish feed on what they want when they want it .much the same as in wild.each time eggs laid .i check through microscope.lately eggs are clear and remain that way.where as eggs that have hatched.im able to see them develope

OP
OP
Happylionfish

Happylionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210527_172505.jpg

OP
OP
Happylionfish

Happylionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost another batch of eggs.this time to microbes in the water.pity i cant upload videos to show people.this fish breeding thing getting harder

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost another batch of eggs.this time to microbes in the water.pity i cant upload videos to show people.this fish breeding thing getting harder
Sorry to hear you lost the eggs. I've been there too. You can try after you catch the eggs transferring them to clean sterile water. I usually leave them in tank water but I know a lot of the research papers I read put them in fresh water in a beaker.

Others put in a drop of disinfectant. Peroxide I think I'll have to go back and reread.

Keep at it. When I first start with dragonettes I couldn't even get them past the day they got mouths but eventually I got them to about 17 days before the breed pair jumped out of their tank.

DRam22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool! If you haven’t already checked out the Marine Breeding Initiative site you might be able to get a little more info there. Here’s a link to the journal of another Aussie who was trying to raise larvae last year. Looks like they’re in Perth, so maybe you can track them down and put your heads together on this. http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=101994

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time keeping them over 2 years, and you have a breeding pair . Jealous but excited for you

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll want alot of water movment over the eggs so they dont fungus. Take the infertile eggs out. Start hatching baby brine for food. I have used methyl blue for eggs of species that 'stick' together to mitigate the die off on the egg clusters, in a seperate container.

OP
OP
Happylionfish

Happylionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210620_093145.jpg
since last post.things been trial and error.eggs have been unfertilised.eaten by microbes due to damage egg sack ,but im having success.now have hatchling in plastic container with air bubbler and heater.though this specimen dead.its 24 hours old and looks to have spine developing.im not sure if they need light sorce.but going to try get small full spectrim light and use two foot glass tank with next batch of eggs,which have been two dayif the ones layed last night had'nt been eaten by other fish

OP
OP
Happylionfish

Happylionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound like a silly question but is the zooplankton you buy in bottles alive.

skinzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is og poster still here? Would be interesting to know if he got the babies to grow and survive.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back