Lionfish lovers thread

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new lion's tank. The elusive rare Blackfoot Lion, with a buddy, a fu manchu. It was a fluke I found this guy, and had already conceded I wouldn't find one. The info you find on this guy is conflicting and really doesn't make sense at times. I know they come from waters around 73-74 degrees, so I set his tank up to 73.4 with .3 variance. The fu is happy at these temps as well, so I gave him a room mate. I have found these guys really do enjoy the company, much to the opposite prevalent info, in my Lion's Reef you'll find my lions perched together even laying on top of each other, hanging out in the same cave like a bunch of bats. Well the Blackfoot really hasn't taken to his new room mate yet, no aggression but we'll see how this plays out.

It's been a week and within the 1st couple of days he displayed classic dwarf lion personality, following me around and begging, he's about to pop from the live ghosties and guppies, but he's starving to death. The more I researched the more I found that people's conclusions were actually based on keeping one or maybe two specimens, you can not come to any conclusions that way. I'll do the best I can to keep this guy going. Common knowledge used to be that fu's needed colder water, like 70 degrees, just because people couldn't keep them alive they were reaching for reasons. My fu in the reef has been going for almost 7 years while the temp runs at 80.6 in the summer months.

The Blackfoot has displayed a bit different traits from other lion's I've kept, for one he doesn't hang in caves and rarely perches, I only see him on the rock when he's getting a vantage point to hunt. He glides along the bottom and even back wall. So to replicate his wild habitat I added sand to his observation tank to make him feel more at home. He's out in open sandbed mostly, while I'll catch him shelter himself slightly under the edge of a rock at night, after the early evening hunting trip..

018.jpg

012.jpg

015.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is he doing?

He's doing great, more active than I expected, hs's always cruising. It's hard to get a good pic of the blue because he's always in my face. He's kind of like a fuzzy, always begging and following you around. He has a very interesting personality, definitely different, kind of like a mix between the fu and a fuzzy, with the coloring of a black volitan. He scoots around and skims around like a fu but much more graceful, and swims a lot more than I expected.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool I have to say I have always loved the fuzzys because of that. You are really making me want one. What temperature is it at? What size is it?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool I have to say I have always loved the fuzzys because of that. You are really making me want one. What temperature is it at? What size is it?

He was just under 3" when I got him., he's about 3 and a quarter now. I've got him at 73,4 with a ,3 variance on the controller.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish are the best, not at all aggressive as many say, but they eat whatever fish fits in it's mouth, very few if any exceptions...I liked this fish because they eat their food whole like Groupers, so no messy food dust floating around the tank from them. Here is the had, he became to big, so gave him back to LFS, but they gave $40 from the sale they made.

20170705_203541.jpg

Screenshot_20190301-204046_Photos.jpg

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to my smaller fuzzy in the mouth of my larger rock flower nem! Smh, I noticed his spines we’re retracted like he stung something or got hurt smh

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where I could find a red or yellow fuzzy dwarf?

I got my red and yellow morphs both by accident. My yellow morph had just a hint of yellow, barely noticeable; then turned into the pics above. My red morph was mostly brown when I first got him. I was looking for another yellow and had an lfs traveling to the wholesalers looking. the wholesalers even said it was luck of the draw. They most times come in just looking drab and brown due to stress and unhealthy living conditions. So your best bet is just keep looking everywhere for wysiwyg listings and check with your lfs. The really brightly color morph will come after being in a healthy tank fed well, so look closely at any you see at your lfs.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back