Lionfish lovers thread

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this guy is?

I was told a Hawaiian Sphinx just want to make sure.
20181005_161728.jpg

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can’t play with my Acros for a few weeks or maybe months if this treatment don’t work I picked up this lil guy, both fuzzy and Fu are on my list but wanted to tank to fully mature before getting one, saw this lil guy at petco and gave me the sad puppy face had to take him.

Can anyone help me with the Sex? Male or female?

84100265-3AC2-4C21-9ED7-10CE1B57C4D7.jpeg

EA1CA06F-7789-4DD4-8ECF-B33CA97D9FA2.jpeg

30B87771-78C4-48BB-A00D-5AA14AA66279.jpeg

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone looking for tricks to get these guys to eat dead, after a few ghost shrimps to make sure he was eating at least live, I got frozen San Francisco Bay krill which fit perfect in a straw, I stuffed about half the krill in the straw(clear one of course) and you can move them around rocks as if they are live shrimps at least the front part lol.. I don’t think he could see the straw, I noticed he is only eating the ones with eyes but is becoming more aware that my hand over the tank means food since at the start he would just inspect the krill few days later he’s getting more aggressive, I will be stuffing these krill with pellets hopefully I can get him to other frozen meals my reef frenzy has nice chunks for him

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this guy is?

I was told a Hawaiian Sphinx just want to make sure.
20181005_161728.jpg

How big is he, if he is only 3" or so could also be an antennatta or even a mombassa. The spots on the fins don't show until they are larger, the radiating bands on the fins of the sphex show up around that time as well. The filiments on the end of the fins of the sphex are usually much shorter. A shot of his tail will give a better indicator, the bands have a bit more distinct marking between the 3. I'm sure they have a hefty pricetag on the sphex, if you are not a collector, you won't find much of difference in overall beauty between the 3; the mombasa stays about the same size, and the antenatta may get a little larger.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can’t play with my Acros for a few weeks or maybe months if this treatment don’t work I picked up this lil guy, both fuzzy and Fu are on my list but wanted to tank to fully mature before getting one, saw this lil guy at petco and gave me the sad puppy face had to take him.

They have to be well over 4" to get a definitive sex, it involves counting the bands on the fins. At that size they will all appear female, once larger and mature the male will have more than 6 bands, while the female has 4-6.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The lightening strikes in the eyes get me me every time, great pics, love my dwarf fuzzy girl or guy loads. :)

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is he, if he is only 3" or so could also be an antennatta or even a mombassa. The spots on the fins don't show until they are larger, the radiating bands on the fins of the sphex show up around that time as well. The filiments on the end of the fins of the sphex are usually much shorter. A shot of his tail will give a better indicator, the bands have a bit more distinct marking between the 3. I'm sure they have a hefty pricetag on the sphex, if you are not a collector, you won't find much of difference in overall beauty between the 3; the mombasa stays about the same size, and the antenatta may get a little larger.

Yes he is about 3 inches. Yes the price tag is pretty high. I am also a collector so yes I do want a true sphex. I am collecting every type of lion there is with the exception of cold the Species. I currently am just short the sphex. I have the rest.

20181106_201431.jpg

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he is about 3 inches. Yes the price tag is pretty high. I am also a collector so yes I do want a true sphex. I am collecting every type of lion there is with the exception of cold the Species. I currently am just short the sphex. I have the rest.

20181106_201431.jpg

20181106_202031.jpg

20181106_202039.jpg

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, but unfortunately he didn't make it past 2 days of being shipped to me. The seller is getting me another one at no cost. What would you say the going rate is for them?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, but unfortunately he didn't make it past 2 days of being shipped to me. The seller is getting me another one at no cost. What would you say the going rate is for them?

I haven't paid much attention since the hype of the Hawaiian fish ban situation, but at that time they were going for around $200 or a bit over, which I consider overpriced. In reality they should be a $100 fish.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't paid much attention since the hype of the Hawaiian fish ban situation, but at that time they were going for around $200 or a bit over, which I consider overpriced. In reality they should be a $100 fish.

Ok yea I knew I over paid, just wanted to know for sure. I had been looking for one for the past 2 years and couldn't find one. I asked well over a dozen of the best places around if they could get me one and some didn't even know there were lions in Hawaii. Pacific island aquatic is the only place that could find one. They are definitely beautiful but I think I like my Radiata more or maybe my yellow fuzzy. What's your favorite type?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yea I knew I over paid, just wanted to know for sure. I had been looking for one for the past 2 years and couldn't find one. I asked well over a dozen of the best places around if they could get me one and some didn't even know there were lions in Hawaii. Pacific island aquatic is the only place that could find one. They are definitely beautiful but I think I like my Radiata more or maybe my yellow fuzzy. What's your favorite type?

I see the beauty in all of them, my antennata looks like a vulcan warship from Star Trek when he emerges from behind the cliffs. The zebra has the striking markings behind his wings. The different color morphs of the fuzzies, I had one I named a yellow creamsickle and a flourescent red. I like the radiata and I do find them more beautiful than the sphex. My fu is a crack up and I find myself looking for her 1st when I go into the office. I'm planning a nps coral tank with new predators and I'm thinking of a male/female pair of fu's. it's a 40 breeder.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the beauty in all of them, my antennata looks like a vulcan warship from Star Trek when he emerges from behind the cliffs. The zebra has the striking markings behind his wings. The different color morphs of the fuzzies, I had one I named a yellow creamsickle and a flourescent red. I like the radiata and I do find them more beautiful than the sphex. My fu is a crack up and I find myself looking for her 1st when I go into the office. I'm planning a nps coral tank with new predators and I'm thinking of a male/female pair of fu's. it's a 40 breeder.

It is weird that I find the really dark volition way up on the list. Something about their fins do it for me. The fu's are a pain but I love them. I learned the hard way that there is no way to keep them alive without live food. I buy lots of 100 damsels and qt them all. Along with ghost shrimp. All my lions eat live at least once a week.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is weird that I find the really dark volition way up on the list. Something about their fins do it for me. The fu's are a pain but I love them. I learned the hard way that there is no way to keep them alive without live food. I buy lots of 100 damsels and qt them all. Along with ghost shrimp. All my lions eat live at least once a week.

Oh shame on me, I forgot about my black volitan, but he's been frustrating me lately. He's gotten a bit difficult to feed, he only seems to want to eat silversides, and seems to have some sort of depth perception problem, he misses his strikes for food.

I think I meant a Romulan warship, i guess you know I'm not a trekky. If I were to add another in my reef, it would be a yellow fuzzy. The mombasa is a nice looking lion also, mine died of some sort of seizure, I watched him die.

I will always feed my lions live, some more than others. My fu will be 7 in Feb, she seems to only take fish now, I believe she has a hard time seeing the ghosties, and has refused to eat any dead at all.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh shame on me, I forgot about my black volitan, but he's been frustrating me lately. He's gotten a bit difficult to feed, he only seems to want to eat silversides, and seems to have some sort of depth perception problem, he misses his strikes for food.

I think I meant a Romulan warship, i guess you know I'm not a trekky. If I were to add another in my reef, it would be a yellow fuzzy. The mombasa is a nice looking lion also, mine died of some sort of seizure, I watched him die.

I will always feed my lions live, some more than others. My fu will be 7 in Feb, she seems to only take fish now, I believe she has a hard time seeing the ghosties, and has refused to eat any dead at all.

All my lions love the blue devil damsels. I get them for about 45 cent each when I buy 100 plus so it allows me to feed them plenty if live. All my lions will each frozen. The fu will only eat pe mysis. My black volitan loves octopus Haha. My lfs buys in extra large ghost shrimp for me all around 2-3 inches.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever seen a Hawaiian green, they are pretty brown when they are small, but around 4" or so they start to get like peacock colors. Greens, aquas, and various shades of green and blue/green mixes with red eyes. I saw a spectacular one at an lfs, but didn't have a spot for him at the time; had I had known how hard it was to come by one with such spectacular coloring, i would have made room.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have see. Them the guy at Pacific island aquatic is bringing me one in. They are pretty cheap to.

Your talking about these guys right?

Screenshot_20181106-220947_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181106-221019_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181106-221104_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181106-221121_Facebook.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have see. Them the guy at Pacific island aquatic is bringing me one in. They are pretty cheap to.

Your talking about these guys right?

Screenshot_20181106-220947_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181106-221019_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181106-221104_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181106-221121_Facebook.jpg

Yeah, they are cheap because at that size they look kind of bland. Feed him well and keep him in a healthy tank, when he get larger you'll probably get those peacock shades of color I was talking about, the red eyes are pretty cool too.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just want one to complete my collection. If it ends up with crazy cool colors that's a plus for me.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back