Lionfish lovers thread

Discussion in 'Predatory Fish Discussion' started by Redneckreef90, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Redneckreef90

Redneckreef90 Active Member

hey guys I have looked and don't see one so post up your favorite lionfish pictures. I just got a dwarf zebra and maybe adding a fuzzy in a week or two. I love lionfish.
    [​IMG]

Joey123, NowGlazeIT, DSC reef and 4 others like this.
    Tags:

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

Great thread idea. I love lions, but love small fish a little more, so I don't have a pic to add currently, but I can live vicariously through the pics here.

3. DracoKat

DracoKat Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I've always wanted a lionfish. I have a tank being set up and I can get a dwarf, but I am not sure. I am a bit apprehensive about their care.. I am getting conflicting info.

like.. are they reef safe? Aggressive to other fish? hard to feed?

Joey123 and FeliciaLynn like this.
  4. Redneckreef90

They can be reef safe as long as they can't eat any of there tank mates. This will be going in my 90 gallon DT when I get him eating frozen food and not live. They can be difficult to get to eat frozen some times. I have only had this guy a few days and have bit tried frozen with him yet.

DracoKat likes this.
  5. Waters

Waters "...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall." R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Have always been one of my favorites....have kept multiple species although I don't have any now do to the higher flow in my SPS tank :(

6. GroverSenpai

GroverSenpai Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two lions I had in the past :)

Joey123, DSC reef, Jenz and 2 others like this.
  7. DisneyMatt10

DisneyMatt10 Member

I absolutely love Lionfish!! Sadly I don't think they will be compatible with my tank setup, so instead I will just have to keep viewing awesome Lionfish photos here!!

That being said... This is by far my favorite Lionfish photo. Screenshot_20160626-101750.jpg
    ~Matt

8. rayn

rayn Bluefin Believer R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Partner Member 2018

I will get back to this one when I get to my computer.

Great pics so far.

jsker likes this.
  9. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Valuable Member R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

George (who was a girl). My first Saltwater fish. that was her looking like a dragon inside her Castle in QT.

056.JPG

054.JPG

10. Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair Renee R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Article Contributor

This little guy was one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

11. Redneckreef90

Nice lions. Let's keep it going.

12. Jenz

Jenz Active Member

Excuse my ignorance, is this a Fu manchu (?)?

13. Redneckreef90

I do believe so.

14. Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair Renee R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Article Contributor

Oh I'm sorry, I should have said. Yes, this is a Fu manchu. Dendrochirus biocellatus.

Jenz likes this.
  15. Jenz

Jenz Active Member

Its all good, am trying to learn how to identify each species before heading to LFS to purchase my stock when ready...ie the last thing I want is to be tricked into a FuManchu as have read they are a lot more fragile, and fickle than the Fuzzy Dwarf and Zebra Dwarf Lion fish

16. cnseekatz

cnseekatz Well-Known Member

After looking for about 2 years, I bought a bonded pair of yellow dwarf fuzzies. Absolutely stunning... I lost them both during a tragic tank crash. I was crushed... I haven't seen their equal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Lionfish Lair

Here's a full side on shot.

[​IMG]

18. GroverSenpai

GroverSenpai Member

Lovely lions folks!

@cnseekatz Those yellow guys are really stunning! Sorry to hear that they're gone :/

@Lionfish Lair, as we say here in Singapore, you "win liao lorh"

19. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Active Member

If you mean coral safe, yes, they are 100% coral safe with all types of corals. They won't eat or bother any corals and I keep my lionfish with softies, gorgonians, SPS, LPS, zoas/palys, etc. The reasons they aren't considered fully reef safe is because:
    (1) They'll eat any fish that are ~3/4 of their size or smaller. So you can really only keep lionfish with larger fish. However, as long as your fish aren't big enough to be eaten, lionfish are actually very peaceful tank mates and won't harass your other fish.
    (2) They'll eat any and all shrimp and potentially other invertebrates like crabs. However, things like snails, fighting conchs, starfish, and tridacna clams usually do just fine with lionfish.

So basically, if you're willing to not keep any shrimp or small fish, then lionfish are completely reef safe. The only other thing to consider is that predator fish like lionfish tend to be a heavy bioload, so you have to have really good filtration. I run an oversized skimmer and a biopellet reactor on my system, and I do 25% water changes once a week. Even with all that, I still have nitrates between 5-25 ppm.

20. Jenz

Jenz Active Member

In your opinion how do you think they'll go with a sandmopper sea cucumber?
    Was advised to consider one by LFS to help manage a deep substrate, but opinions differ as to whether it'll be harassed by this predator species

Draft saved Draft deleted