OP
OP
Redneckreef90

Redneckreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a lionfish. I have a tank being set up and I can get a dwarf, but I am not sure. I am a bit apprehensive about their care.. I am getting conflicting info.

like.. are they reef safe? Aggressive to other fish? hard to feed?
They can be reef safe as long as they can't eat any of there tank mates. This will be going in my 90 gallon DT when I get him eating frozen food and not live. They can be difficult to get to eat frozen some times. I have only had this guy a few days and have bit tried frozen with him yet.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have always been one of my favorites....have kept multiple species although I don't have any now do to the higher flow in my SPS tank :(

GroverSenpai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4b4bff278ab090c18c62510cf58a0eae.jpg

526dfb748fe41f2c4fb899449efdeec2.jpg

Two lions I had in the past :)

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm sorry, I should have said. Yes, this is a Fu manchu. Dendrochirus biocellatus.
Its all good, am trying to learn how to identify each species before heading to LFS to purchase my stock when ready...ie the last thing I want is to be tricked into a FuManchu as have read they are a lot more fragile, and fickle than the Fuzzy Dwarf and Zebra Dwarf Lion fish

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a lionfish. I have a tank being set up and I can get a dwarf, but I am not sure. I am a bit apprehensive about their care.. I am getting conflicting info.

like.. are they reef safe? Aggressive to other fish? hard to feed?
If you mean coral safe, yes, they are 100% coral safe with all types of corals. They won't eat or bother any corals and I keep my lionfish with softies, gorgonians, SPS, LPS, zoas/palys, etc. The reasons they aren't considered fully reef safe is because:
(1) They'll eat any fish that are ~3/4 of their size or smaller. So you can really only keep lionfish with larger fish. However, as long as your fish aren't big enough to be eaten, lionfish are actually very peaceful tank mates and won't harass your other fish.
(2) They'll eat any and all shrimp and potentially other invertebrates like crabs. However, things like snails, fighting conchs, starfish, and tridacna clams usually do just fine with lionfish.

So basically, if you're willing to not keep any shrimp or small fish, then lionfish are completely reef safe. The only other thing to consider is that predator fish like lionfish tend to be a heavy bioload, so you have to have really good filtration. I run an oversized skimmer and a biopellet reactor on my system, and I do 25% water changes once a week. Even with all that, I still have nitrates between 5-25 ppm.

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean coral safe, yes, they are 100% coral safe with all types of corals. They won't eat or bother any corals and I keep my lionfish with softies, gorgonians, SPS, LPS, zoas/palys, etc. The reasons they aren't considered fully reef safe is because:
(1) They'll eat any fish that are ~3/4 of their size or smaller. So you can really only keep lionfish with larger fish. However, as long as your fish aren't big enough to be eaten, lionfish are actually very peaceful tank mates and won't harass your other fish.
(2) They'll eat any and all shrimp and potentially other invertebrates like crabs. However, things like snails, fighting conchs, starfish, and tridacna clams usually do just fine with lionfish.

So basically, if you're willing to not keep any shrimp or small fish, then lionfish are completely reef safe. The only other thing to consider is that predator fish like lionfish tend to be a heavy bioload, so you have to have really good filtration. I run an oversized skimmer and a biopellet reactor on my system, and I do 25% water changes once a week. Even with all that, I still have nitrates between 5-25 ppm.
In your opinion how do you think they'll go with a sandmopper sea cucumber?
Was advised to consider one by LFS to help manage a deep substrate, but opinions differ as to whether it'll be harassed by this predator species

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back