0   0   0
The new king of the 210

589.jpg

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen a yellow for sale online once in the last few years, that was at Blue Zoo. If you were to go for a yellow, I'd only buy a wysiwyg offering. Places i'd look would be Blue Zoo, Divers Den, and a few other boutique type retailers that you may consider credible. Sign up for the Divers Den sneak peak and if you see one listed, be online at Divers Den as soon as the listing goes live(around 3pm pst, even before you get the email). Send inquiries to all the other retailers and check often. It will probably just be luck if you find one.

Don't ignore the ones you see at the lfs that just look brown, pale, or plain. They are usually stressed, starving, and probably not in good shape. My yellow came in as a regular fuzzy; he barely had a sprinkling of yellow at the base of his spikes, no yellow in his wings at all and more brown than red. he had cloudy eyes and a sore on his lip; I brought him home because I knew he was going to die if I left him. I was very pleasantly surprised when his color popped. The fuzzy below was brown, pale, starving, and on death's door when i got him. Once he was in a healthy tank and became fat and happy, that's what he turned into. The ones from Africa seem to red up more than the ones from Indonesia. Look closely to see undertones of red and oranges.

IMG_20160704_134828.jpg
I found one I will be picking it up on Tuesday pictures to come. Seems like a great deal. They have had it for 2 weeks 70 bucks about 3 inches

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for these guys? Also what size were they

I don't mind. They were about 4" each. I think I paid $400 for the pair. I have still not seen another bonded pair of fuzzies, let alone bright yellow ones.

I have seen a handful of decent yellows over the past couple years... they seem to come available seasonally.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind. They were about 4" each. I think I paid $400 for the pair. I have still not seen another bonded pair of fuzzies, let alone bright yellow ones.

I have seen a handful of decent yellows over the past couple years... they seem to come available seasonally.
I would live a pair. I just picked up a yellow for 80. Little guy though

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gurnard Lionfish 2.5 inches, It's hard to take a shot of it with wide open pectoral fins.
You can google for a professional picture and see its true beauty :)
20171210_180640.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gurnard Lionfish 2.5 inches, It's hard to take a shot of it with wide open pectoral fins.
You can google for a professional picture and see its true beauty :)
20171210_180640.jpg

So I take it you have a cold water tank, I wouldn't think your clams would be happy as cold as this guy likes to be for long term success.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I take it you have a cold water tank, I wouldn't think your clams would be happy as cold as this guy likes to be for long term success.
Yeah, I found out its information after few hours searched for it real ID since I never seen them for sale before and LFS don't have a clue about it either, I was asked for Fu Manchu and this one showed up lol. For now seem everything seem fine in 76F but I'm not sure when the weather warm up in summer.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I found out its information after few hours searched for it real ID since I never seen them for sale before and LFS don't have a clue about it either, I was asked for Fu Manchu and this one showed up lol. For now seem everything seem fine in 76F but I'm not sure when the weather warm up in summer.

This guy needs to be kept around 65, high 60s at the most. Anything above 70 and I won't give him but a few months at best.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy needs to be kept around 65, high 60s at the most. Anything above 70 and I won't give him but a few months at best.
Well, let's hope its enjoy its time while it can.
If I return it to LFS I'm sure it won't last more than a week there.
Another thing is this species living depth range from 10 feets down to 110 feets...I hope this one was living near the surface so it can handle higher water temp :) nothing we can do it now!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, let's hope its enjoy its time while it can.
If I return it to LFS I'm sure it won't last more than a week there.
Another thing is this species living depth range from 10 feets down to 110 feets...I hope this one was living near the surface so it can handle higher water temp :) nothing we can do it now!

It's arguably one of the most beautiful lions; not only are they rarely offered, most people don't understand their temperate requirements and they don't live long in captivity. We more commonly call them the blackfoot lionfish, if you search really hard you may find some more info online. I've only known of a couple instances of success with this lion, both tanks were kept well under 70 degrees. I wish you well.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right! I have no doubt about your insight.
Like I said earlier that if I return it to LFS then it will die in a week and if I leave it in my tank it will die in few months like you said, It will die at the end just later time rather than sooner and I might be able to find someone local that having cold tank setup and rehome it. :)

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep large species of lionfish together (5+) in same tank and they are did fine with each other.
I knew the dwarf lionfish species are more aggressive to each other so my question:
Did anyone keep multiple Fu Manchu Lion in same tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep large species of lionfish together (5+) in same tank and they are did fine with each other.
I knew the dwarf lionfish species are more aggressive to each other so my question:
Did anyone keep multiple Fu Manchu Lion in same tank?

I've never kept multiple of the same species, but the fu does seem to be the least aggressive of the dwarfs. Tank size and lay out with multiple caves and separate rock structures would be a plus. The other dwarfs will exhibit aggressive within the males, but then again with a large enough tank that can be diminished.

It would be great if you gave it a whirl, I'd just make sure you an emergency spot just in case you have to separate them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back